Vinyl set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've visited this forum quite a few times but always as a reader not as a poster. Now that I'm starting to look into buying some new things for my set-up I decided to post here and maybe get some opinions.

So here goes. I only intend to keep my turntable (Pro-ject debut III), and also that one will be replaced by a higher-up model in a few years. What I'm looking to buy is new speakers and a new amplifier. Budget around 800 pounds, can be more or can be less.

Now what I need amp-wise differs quite a bit from what most people here look for. I only care about playing vinyl. A CD-player and tapedeck will get connected too but they are of lesser importance to me. DVD/surround system/USB-entry etc etc is all useless to me. So I need a pretty straightforward amp with a phono-entry. I was looking at the Cambridge-amps but they don't have phono-ins, which is a real pity. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Denon PMA-710. Maybe the Marants PM6003?

Speaker-wise maybe soms KEF's to go with the amp. Haven't really looked into that yet. My music is the hard & heavy so don't know if anybody here has experience with speakers and that (mostly death metal & thrash metal) sort of music.

I know there's nothing better than to listen to a set-up in person, but I'd like to have an idea of what should be good/what set-ups I should take a listen too, before I head out to do some test-listens.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome...

It's a really tricky one because there are so many cracking amps - with phono inputs - that most people would keep (and do keep) for years... brands such as Rotel, Rega, Arcam, Marantz. They are all fabulous amps but they also offer something individual.

What is your favourite music? room acoustics? do you listen to music over long periods or short sessions? You need to bare all these questions in mind when auditioning. Once you've listened to few different makes and made a short-list, try a home dem if possible.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Welcome...

It's a really tricky one because there are so many cracking amps - with phono inputs - that most people would keep (and do keep) for years... brands such as Rotel, Rega, Arcam, Marantz. They are all fabulous amps but they also offer something individual.

What is your favourite music? room acoustics? do you listen to music over long periods or short sessions? You need to bare all these questions in mind when auditioning. Once you've listened to few different makes and made a short-list, try a home dem if possible.
Death metal and thrash metal, whatever they are. I'd think Cerwin Vega might be the go. I'd probably look at the Harman Kardon 980 amp, which seems adequately powerful for the money.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
parabellum said:
I know there's nothing better than to listen to a set-up in person, but I'd like to have an idea of what should be good/what set-ups I should take a listen too, before I head out to do some test-listens.

The Harman Kardon HK3490 is similar in price (£260) to the Denon and Marantz.

I'd recommend auditioning as many speakers as possible as they will make a big difference to the sound and choosing the right ones will ensure long term enjoyment of your Hi-Fi. Take your time and try to get a home demo if possible. There are some good offers if you shop around, for example the KEF IQ5SE or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/SW150.

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Hmm, seems like none of the local dealers has Harman kardon available. Will have to drive to one of the bigger towns to see if I can listen to one there.

About the music, if you don't know what thrash and death metal is, imagine Motorhead or Iron maiden or even Led zeppelin, but more agressive and fast. So basically guitar-driven music.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
parabellum said:
Hmm, seems like none of the local dealers has Harman kardon available. Will have to drive to one of the bigger towns to see if I can listen to one there.

About the music, if you don't know what thrash and death metal is, imagine Motorhead or Iron maiden or even Led zeppelin, but more agressive and fast. So basically guitar-driven music.

Death metal is like very very heavy metal with a singer that can't sing :p

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
parabellum said:

Putting Led Zeppelin in the same sentence as death metal I could flag as offensive.
smiley-yell.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts