Vinyl as an only source in 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, growing tired of vinyl . . . dont get out much to go to charity shops and the like . . . getting tired of lots of things in general . . . perhaps its 'Johny no mates', I have very few friends, by choice, those I do have, all have hearing aids!

Even growing tired of music in general . . . so its Spotify or nothing, costing me a fiver a month, for a vast back catalogue that sound good to me, even Horlicks hour is just that, an hour or less these days.

Slipping away, me thinks, may be next winter, who knows? . . . but for present I cant be bothered, I've hit the wall . . .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Sadly, growing tired of vinyl . . . dont get out much to go to charity shops and the like . . . getting tired of lots of things in general . . . perhaps its 'Johny no mates', I have very few friends, by choice, those I do have, all have hearing aids!

Even growing tired of music in general . . . so its Spotify or nothing, costing me a fiver a month, for a vast back catalogue that sound good to me, even Horlicks hour is just that, an hour or less these days.

Slipping away, me thinks, may be next winter, who knows? . . . but for present I cant be bothered, I've hit the wall . . .

You are just experiancing a "low", which will pass....probably when you get a new project to sink your teeth into.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I'd probably go for vinyl. On the basis of what I've heard so far, vinyl sounds better than CD. My taste in music is mainly from the vinyl era. There's enough affordable 2nd hand vinyl around.

I am using my tables more now than my CD player (Spotify is still a daily fix). I dont know about 'better' but there is certainly something about vinyl that is somehow difficult to replicate with digital (including distortion but hey ...)

Listening to a lot of jazz, have a few albums on order and nearly cried today listening to John Williams :O

@ CJSF

I'll join Cno in wishing you well and hope you just get over that little blip.

You have a lovely system. Sometimes a break is as good as a change ... for whatever reason. I also find that taking things apart, servicing and cleaning them usually re-wakes my interest.

Have a good b/holiday weekend

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Even growing tired of music in general . . .

I went through that about 20 years ago.

I got to a point where I felt I had pretty much listened to everything I liked and couldn't find any new music that would interest me. I tried getting back into classical music but I would get either distracted or depressed. Most of the best stuff seemed to be about death in one way or another. (Or just sounded like it was about death even when it wasn't!)

The answer (for me) was to fall back on listening to Radio 4 (something I had started doing in my early teens from when 'Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy' was first broadcast).

I started using the Nicam VHS machine (this was the early 1990s before you snigger) to record lots of drama and documentary and comedy content from my FM tuner.

Using VHS meant being able to record up to 3 (or even 4) hour's worth while I was out, and being able to get entire plays (sometimes up to two and a half hours long) without the breaks you'd get if using audio cassettes.

The audio quality was very good and I still have some of the best stuff on iTunes even now. (Having copied the old VHS tapes to DVD-R and imported the audio files a few years ago.)

Nowadays there is so much more. FM radio, DAB, iPlayer radio, podcasts, archives, BBC CDs and good quality downloads.

I haven't given up on music (not even classical) and I now listen to a bit more than I did two decades ago. I even like some jazz! (So long as it's not so-called 'trad jazz' with all those stripey jackets and straw boaters and beards. Ick!)

However, I doubt whether my speech/drama/history/comedy/documentary consumption will ever drop much below where it is now. (About 80 percent of my listening time.)

That is why - earlier - I opted for radio (in all it's current forms) as my primary source.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Sadly, growing tired of vinyl . . . don't get out much to go to charity shops and the like . . . getting tired of lots of things in general . . . perhaps its 'Johny no mates', I have very few friends, by choice, those I do have, all have hearing aids!

I think you overdosed. There were times it seemed when barely 72 hours passed by without you starting threads where you were modding this, tweaking that, and mucking about with minutiae. But "chin-up, owd lad", as they say oop north, I bet your enthusiasm will return, but maybe now is the time to direct your energies at something completely different so that you come at it with refreshed vigour. Just don't be stranger because of it: this forum will be a poorer place without you.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I tried going back to vinyl a few years ago , bought a basic project debut turntable with a cheap ortofon (OM5??) cartridge attached, and was actually dissapionted how it perforned through the speakers :? kind of put me off the format . My CD player sounded cleaner, more dynamic, fresher, better midrange, more solid bass. This is when I compared the albums that I have on both formats... The tuntable was also very microphonic, Needless to say I sold it on and my main source is the trusty CD now , still the best format for sound v conveniance , ease of use and availability etc

I do understand that vinyl has the potential to sound better when you have a very well engineered turntable, expensive cartridge , clean vinyl and everthing set up to military accuracy , but its expensive and fussy...whereas CD jusy put it in the tray and press play,,,,,,saying that I do like the looks of the old 80s turntables like the technics 1200 etc and watcking the pickup track across the spinning disc :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I cant ever see me having just Vinyl as a source!

I have now got my digital source established (Synology DS212j NAS & Rega DAC) and the results are simply stunning! Better than any CD player I have ever had!

As for vinyl I am about to be in possesion of an RP6 and this will be my main source, so yes I love both formats!

Both formats have there pros & cons, but vinyl is the best sounding imho, however my digital system isnt far behind!

Streaming is so convenient when you want music on (all day in this house) while your doing other things, then when I want to sit down and relax the vinyl plays its part - I actually enjoy all the fuss with the cleaning etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts