Vintage record player compared to modern ones?

iMark

I have inherited a vintage record player (with hundreds of classical LP's). The record player is Dual CS-1249 which my mum bought in 1977. It has played without any problems (except for a belt replacement) but after moving it, it has developed a small fault. According to German sites about Dual record players the 'Steuerpimpel' needs to be replaced. I might try that later.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1249.shtml

Fortunatuly my stereo receiver is so old (Denon DRA 1000) has a phono input so I can use the player without any problem. It has a Grado Prestige Silver cartridge and the sound of the combination is very nice indeed. The only disadvantage of this particular Dual are the complicated automatic mechanics. When it works though, is very convenient.

I was wondering how a vintage beast like this would compare to a modern player. Has anyone tested vintage players alongside modern players? Dual record players were extremely popular in NL (and Germany) in the 70's. Were they sold in the UK?

A

Anonymous

iMark said:
I have inherited a vintage record player (with hundreds of classical LP's). The record player is Dual CS-1249 which my mum bought in 1977. It has played without any problems (except for a belt replacement) but after moving it, it has developed a small fault. According to German sites about Dual record players the 'Steuerpimpel' needs to be replaced. I might try that later.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1249.shtml

Fortunatuly my stereo receiver is so old (Denon DRA 1000) has a phono input so I can use the player without any problem. It has a Grado Prestige Silver cartridge and the sound of the combination is very nice indeed. The only disadvantage of this particular Dual are the complicated automatic mechanics. When it works though, is very convenient.

I was wondering how a vintage beast like this would compare to a modern player. Has anyone tested vintage players alongside modern players? Dual record players were extremely popular in NL (and Germany) in the 70's. Were they sold in the UK?

I remember listening to a friends Dual in the 90's and thinking the sound was okay but very relaxed and rounded off compared to my Systemdeck so I'm not sure about now.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
OMG someone calling something made in 1977 'vintage'.

That makes me feel prehistoric; I predate 1977 by 'a number of years'.

In case you are interested, there are 3 official stages of aging:

Wrinkley -> Crinkley -> Crumbley. ;) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts