viewing distance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have juggled a couple of tv's around and now watch my movies via a 32inch panasonic cos its my only full hd tv. it is however too small. my previous tv was pana 37inch. That was probably fine but tempted to go to 40-42 for my next tv as there seems to be a lack of good quality 37 inch tv's. viewing distance is 2.5 meters to tv. is 37inch about right, can i go bigger or not. also how many of you out there have bought big but regretted it because of viewing distance.

Messiah

I would say it depends upon the majority of your viewing.

What will this be comprised of??

To be fair though, I have not read many comments from people who think they have bought a TV that is too big...

A

Anonymous

its the main tv for ... tv and blu ray movies. i go into loadsa houses and they have a monster tv in a small lounge. surely they got it wrong. and i aint a burglar. come to think of it most of them wear glasses

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
dude 50 inch is the way

i sit quite colose to my 42 inch, and its small......
emotion-1.gif

Messiah

I think 40"-42" will be fine.

I find that most TV via my Virgin V+ box has a really good picture so the larger screen does not have too many imperfections in the source to highlight.

Of course BD is fine and you could sit an inch away from the picture and it would still look sharp. Although not the best position to really appreciate what you are watching.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I sit at a distance of approximately 8-9ft (about 2.5-2.7 metres) and I watch tv, dvd and blu ray on my 42" and it's fine. I think I could have gone for a 46" or, at a push, even a 50", specially when viewing dvds, blu rays or playing on my xbox 360. My tv seemed huge when I first got it home, now it seems on the small side. I suggest you take a tape measure to the shop, measure out your viewing distance and judge for yourself.

Oh, and I don't wear glasses.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I agree with hmtb, I thought the 42 inch was huge when I upgraded from a 32 inch......now its all about getting a projector.....if i can convince the other half
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

Garth Man,

I notice in your signature, that you have a dead xbox 360. I bought my xbox when they first came out in 2005 (I think it was), and had the 3 red lights appear earlier this year. I phoned xbox 360 support and despite not having an extended warranty on it, they said that they had extended it for that problem. They picked it up and about 2 weeks later sent back a working replacement, all free of charge.

If you're interested in using the 360 again, it might be worth giving them a call if you haven't already, to see what they say.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
cheers hmtb

I did twice!!!! the second one died also as it was a refubished xbox.....the bliming cheek
emotion-3.gif

I do want another one, as I miss gears of war and other games very dearly
emotion-9.gif

I do like my PS3, but I'm not convinced its a better games machine. Yes its a better machine overall. But not for games in terms of playablity... So I will invest in a new omne very soon

I want Gears 3 and fable 3!!!! PS3 has none of these games!!!

A

Anonymous

are all you guys serious! my old 37 inch pana px70 something was a great pic but only went to 1080i and at closer range became pixelated ? i thought 40-42 but was afraid at 2.5 m would be to big. tech stuff on the net says 32" for that distance. come on where are all you 40-42" is way too big people ? oh and do you guys have families or are you all locked away in a dark room where your tv is your world ? i mean 50 inch and seven feet away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its a conspiracy

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a 42" Panasonic and sit about 5 metres away and I now realising that is it too small, unfortunately reading up on TV sizes and viewing distances I think I need at least 60", which do not come cheap, anyone else sit so far away and what TV size do you have ?

A

Anonymous

Yes, We are being serious. I wouldn't place too much faith in what the "tech stuff on the net says" as it recommends 32" which you consider to be too small.

As I said before, go to a shop, measure out your viewing distance and have a look at a range of tvs and sizes with various sources and make the decision for yourself. It's not hard. If you see pixelation on a 42" screen at your distance, then go for a smaller set.

You can only get other people's opinion on a forum. Ultimately, you need to see it with your own eyes. Have you been to see any tvs yet? It's the only way you will be able to dispel your fears of getting a tv which is too big.

I think you'll find that the viewing distance recommendations vary depending on the content, so while you could watch HD content on a 50" at about 7-8 feet, you might well be ill advised to do the same with SD tv broadcasts.

A

Anonymous

I watch a 50 inch (pioneer lx5090) from 2m (eyes to screen) with 90% HD content, it's perfect for me!

A

Anonymous

I have a 50" Kuro and I watch it from almost 4 meters/13 feet (eye->screen distance). It is great for normal TV broadcasts, even HD ones. But, when playing a game or for watching Blu-ray I usually push the sofa around 1 meter closer to the TV :p Or simply use my beanbag between sofa and TV.

For 7-8 inch I would recommend a 40-42 inch. But if you are a Blu-ray fan or gamer that plays HD games I would recommend a 46 inch.

With more than that I guess it is too much if you also watch SD content. It's all great -- the more the better -- but for HD content, not for SD, as you lose quality by getting too close to the screen.

If you are 10 feet from TV, then a 50 inch would be nice :) (same as myself when using the beanbag)

A

Anonymous

i am really surprised but it seems you guys are right. sony web site claims that i should be watching between a 46-52" tv. cant believe that but thats what it says. i dont think however in a shop you get a feeling for size because they all look diddy, its like cars look massive in a showroom and don't get me started on sofa's and how massive they are when you get them home. maybe 40-42 is the way forward. who knew. still it would be nice to hear from someone who got a tv to big, anyone, anyone ........

TRENDING THREADS