Very happy with new B&W 686 S2

RicP

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, it's my first post on the forum (please be kind!)

i've just got myself a pair of the new B&W 686 S2's and thought I'd let you know how pleased I am with them. I compared/auditioned them alongside the 685 S2 and Kef q100. Although they were not quite as loud (smaller and less sensitive) as the other two, they just sounded nicer in the bass department to me, I found the other two a little bass heavy for my taste and small room size. I'm not going to do a review as I don't claim to be an expert, all I can say is to my ears they are a nice improvement to my old Dali Lektor 1's and monitor audio BX1's before that. Also love the look of them in the white finish (as does the wife!)

I have them running with a Denon PMA720ae amplifier, DCD720ae CD player and Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable and for what I paid for them all in (around £160 each new for cd and amp) I couldn't be any happier. I'm actually sat here now listening to the remastered vinyl of the beatles rubber soul, beer in hand and all is good :)

Hope this was usefull to someone as I couldn't find anything on them when I searched for a review. I would also like to here any comments from anyone else who's heard these and hope they back me up ;)

matthewpiano

I previously had the 720ae pairing and I agree - for the money they work really well. From experience I'd say they are every bit as good as the more widely referenced Marantz 6004/5 components, and the CD player is particularly good.

I'm pleased to hear the 686s2 is good. I had a pair of 686s in the past and although they had some good qualities they were very bass heavy and a bit lacking in definition. I notice the new version is completely different and from your comments it sounds as though B&W have been careful to rectify the negatives of the old model.

Sounds like you've got a great system. Enjoy the music!

RicP

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I previously had the 720ae pairing and I agree - for the money they work really well. From experience I'd say they are every bit as good as the more widely referenced Marantz 6004/5 components, and the CD player is particularly good.

I'm pleased to hear the 686s2 is good. I had a pair of 686s in the past and although they had some good qualities they were very bass heavy and a bit lacking in definition. I notice the new version is completely different and from your comments it sounds as though B&W have been careful to rectify the negatives of the old model.

Sounds like you've got a great system. Enjoy the music!

thanks buddy, yeah really pleased with my little system, especially taking into account it's a real budget system. Bass goes pretty deep on the 686 S2's but stays nice and tightly controlled.

I heard the Marantz 6005 combo alongside the Denon, when I bought it and I can honestly say I much preferred the Denon. Being nearly half the price was a nice bonus!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You are at a point where hi-fi makes sense, it caters good vibes like quaint butler to your soul.

Next upgrade will be followed by neurosis, OCD, sleepless hours of reading what is better for the money (which you never have enough), general paranoia how things sound, how can they be improved and endless questioning of your sanity (to placebo or not to placebo).

:doh:

Enjoy while it lasts.

wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts