Variations in CD quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone else find that there is a great variation in the quality of their CDs? For example;

If you look at Mike Oldfield, Music of the Spheres, this seems to be very well recorded and mixed. All the instruments are clear and in a nice sized soundstage.

Whereas Goldfrapp, Seventh Tree has an amazing balance of the recording with all instrumentation clear and solid, BUT her voice is a bit too sibliant, just like someone turned up the treble to a plus 4. Not terrible, but just noticeable.

ABBA Gold, dreadful. Sounds compressed beyond belief with no bass to speak of.

Are these variations down to the production of the recording? Does everyone else notice such differences or is this the benefit of a revealing system?

While we are on the subject, do all 'best of' albums get pretty compressed and are you better off going for the original albums?

Last question, in light of this, what is your demo CD?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, unfortunately, it is "one of those things" - I have CDs that sound great, and others that sound poo.

It's not just the recording - it can be how the mastering engineer works with the sound when transferring it to CD that can also have an effect, hence why Beatles LPs are generally better sounding that the 1980s CD releases, and why the Love album was so much better (George Martin and son had a lot more to do with it).

My Demo CD (I take it you mean for showing off your system to friends rather than auditioning new stuff) would be Rodrigo y Gabriela's first album. If that doesn't make your system sing, then it's a Steepletone...

A

Anonymous

Sorry FBSF, just seen your answer on a previous thread of mine.

TRENDING THREADS