Valve Pre/Power Amps

nick_s666

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Newbie here, so greetings to all.

I'm just about to get rid of my beloved Conrad Johnson Premier 4 power amp, and am seeking recommendations for valve pre/power amp combinations around the £4K mark (for both items!)

My speakers are Spendor S8's, and I need a MM phono input on the pre-amp.

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Cheers

Nick

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't rule out integrated amps - there are some fine examples to be had at the kind of price you are looking at. As well as the Icon Audio amps CNO mentioned, try and track down Prima Luna, Unison Research, and Canor - I have heard the latter especially sound particularly impressive.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
Don't rule out integrated amps - there are some fine examples to be had at the kind of price you are looking at. As well as the Icon Audio amps CNO mentioned, try and track down Prima Luna, Unison Research, and Canor - I have heard the latter especially sound particularly impressive.

Quite right,

An Ikon Audio Stereo 60 plus one of their phono pre-amps would make a very 'modern' take on the valve pre-power setup.

nick_s666

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank You.
The CJ is wonderful, but she's now An Old Girl. Last service was eye-wateringly expensive, and its becoming a question of diminishing returns.
Also VERY fussy on valve selection...

I'm keen to stick with valves but am seeking less 'high maintenance' amps.

Points above taken about integrated amps, though I've always liked to keep pre/post seperate for upgrades and other fiddling.

Current pre-amp is tranny, but would like to go valve with this also. Ideally valve phono stage also if possible.

Cheers,n

EDIT: I see that using 'reply' on this forum doesn't 'quote' the post I'm replying to, and there's no way of deleting a post. Duly noted..

nick_s666 said:
Thank You.
The CJ is wonderful, but she's now An Old Girl. Last service was eye-wateringly expensive, and its becoming a question of diminishing returns.
Also VERY fussy on valve selection...

I'm keen to stick with valves but am seeking less 'high maintenance' amps.

Points above taken about integrated amps, though I've always liked to keep pre/post seperate for upgrades and other fiddling.

Current pre-amp is tranny, but would like to go valve with this also. Ideally valve phono stage also if possible.

Cheers,n
. As already suggested, I would personally look at Prima Luna, because I trust the UK importers to support the product, and it is good value and seems less flaky than some. Icon audio looks great, but I was very disappointed by a lengthy audition a few years ago at the show near Silverstone, so cannot recommend them. My overarching view is you have a very specific need which only a steady and possibly lengthy period of auditioning will satisfy.

nick_s666

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Apologies for delay in replying- I've been blocked by the 'spam filter' for some reason.. @Stevebrock and CnoEvil. Thanks- you seem to have summoned Floyd! @Floyd- I'm in Birmingham (UK). Vinyl is my primary source though I do spin the odd CD. @MacSpur. Thanks- will have a look at the GM70

TRENDING THREADS