Integrated / Pre Power Upgrade?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

OK I now have £3,000 to £3,500 to spend on an upgrade for my Amp, CD Player and Speakers and I am trying to work out whether to down the route of an integrated amp or a pre/power combination (which I believe will provide better control and sound benefits).

Options I have at the moment include:

Rega Cursa 3 Power / Rega Maia Pre / Rega Saturn CD and potentially either the RS3 or RS5 speakers (This will mean my setup is a complete Rega Combination including the Plannar 3).

Audiolab 8200Q / Audiolab 8000X7 power / Audiolab 8200 CD + Speakers of choice (this would give me the benefit of a DAC on the CD, which mean I can add a digital dock for my ipod or play directly from my laptop)

Cyrus Pre Xpd QX Pre / Cyrus C Power / Cyrus CD8SE + Spendor A5 speakers (this is considerably over budget unless I can source through second hand / ex demo etc)

Also may consider a Naim pre / power / CD combo

I am aware that with all these options I would need a Phono Stage in addition.

What are peoples thoughts on these before I demo and can anyone make any other worthwhile considerations.

The alternative option is to go for an integrated amp and add a power amp when funds allow.

Comments please.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
You could cut a box out of the Audiolab system and get an 8200CDQ instead of the 8200Q & 8200CD. The CDQ is an 8200CD with an analogue & digital pre amp stage built in. That would save you a few hundred quid.

Sorry I can't help you more, but I am only learning.

A

Anonymous

See for me it all really depends on what you want out of the system (i.e. mind blowing power and sound/loudness or intricate detail and precision or a bit of both etc...)

I've got a pre/power system currently as my main system (listed below) and I've an integrated amp/speakers system as my 2nd system but that will be an integrated/power system soon enough).

I've gone through all integrated, pre/power and integrated/power systems and they've all worked really well for me ; I do feel that the integeated/power gives a great sound and control but as does the pre/power. Integrated systems just make life easier and less cluttered haha
emotion-4.gif

The Audiolab system sounds superb; that with a set of Monitor Audio RX6, PMC GB1i or Rega RS5 speakers, IMO, would be amazing. But again that system with the Rega Apollo or Saturn CDP would work superbly well as well (but you'd need a seperate DAC on top)

What about the likes of a Cyrus 8XPd integrated, Cyrus XPower amp, Audiolab 8200/Cyrus 8SE or Rega Saturn CDP and maybe some Neat Motive 2 or again PMC GB1i speakers? For me that'd be hell of a system!

Dont forget the 2nd hand market as well
emotion-1.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979:

See for me it all really depends on what you want out of the system (i.e. mind blowing power and sound/loudness or intricate detail and precision or a bit of both etc...)

I dont tend to listen at extreme volume levels, as my other other half is in another room watching TV or we have neighbours to consider at the moment.

I think more important to me is obtaining a higher level of detail and precision with identifiable seperation between instruments and vocals. I also like a warmer sound rather than a too forward and harsh sounding system.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I would go down to your local rega dealer, compare the apollo & Dac to the saturn, using the cursa/mira. When you have done that, and decided which you prefer, ask them to swap out the cursa/maia for the elecit. If you do this with some speakers such as the RS5, then you are least hearing what the rega team where aiming for. The Maia will drive ,most speakers as will the elicit, so its then a case of listening to a few speakers and see which you want to take homr for a demo.

Most dealers will want to help you in your choice.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
respe:

I would go down to your local rega dealer, compare the apollo & Dac to the saturn, using the cursa/mira. When you have done that, and decided which you prefer, ask them to swap out the cursa/maia for the elecit. If you do this with some speakers such as the RS5, then you are least hearing what the rega team where aiming for. The Maia will drive ,most speakers as will the elicit, so its then a case of listening to a few speakers and see which you want to take homr for a demo.

Most dealers will want to help you in your choice.

Thanks for that respe, that would certainly give me an idea on the Rega equipment.

How do you find the Rega sound?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Maintaining a complete Rega set-up is an interesting idea, though its worth considering the Planar 3 is a superb all rounder that matches well with almost any suitable amp and phono stage so there won't necessarily be sonic advantages in matching this to a full Rega separates system.

Of most hi-fi under the £1000 mark that came out in 2010 (or early 2011), the Audiolab 8200 range offers an impressive range of abilities and is future proofed (8200CD with multiple digital inputs just incase you go down the PC/NAS streaming route now or in future).

The Audiolab sound (even with the 8200A and 8200CD before considering the pre/power combo) is very detailed with clarity and soundstaging that allows you to pick out individual instruments and thus should offer the qualities you're looking for. No phono stage, but a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 or Trichord Dino would foot the bill nicely with your TT.

As for speakers, do you have a preference to bookshelf/floorstanders? If within budget the ProAc Studio 140s make an interesting match.

Still might be worth an audition to hear the sound for yourself
emotion-1.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, audioaffair, as you can see the Audiolab is definately on the list for a demo and will look at both options integrated and pre-power. I like the idea of having the DAC on the CD for laptop or ipod (via a digital dock).

I think I would probably rater go for a more expensive set of bookshelf / standmounter as initially they may be sat on solid built in shelves until we move. As funds space allow I may look at upgrading these to Floorstanders.

I have also seen a second hand Roksan setup including Caspian M Series-1 Pre / Power and CD combo all about 5 years old, and which I think would make an amazing system with either the Graham Slee / Trichord Phono Amp. I could always look at then getting an additional second Caspian Power Amp to drive the seperate speakers.......I think this may be a system that I would live with for years to come
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts