Valve Amp and Speaker Setup

Lizard

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to the world of Hi-Fi's but I'm looking to purchase a decent valve amp and speaker pair. Can anyone recommend a valve amp and speakers that will have a fair amount of punch (but of course with a beautiful balanced sound) to fill a large room? My budget is around £5000 for everything.

I plan on visiting Audio Gold in London but want some opinions before a stroll in there are look like a total noob! Thanks.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I suspect the 'large room' requirement might be the most difficult bit to get right. You may be looking to the second-hand market for your speakers. Maybe some big Tannoys? Or Proacs? Jordans have a pair of ART Prestige 8s for £3250. I think they have sensitivity around 90dB. Also worth looking for an s/h pair of Audio Note speakers.

Good luck!

Matt

Lizard

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. Just spent the afternoon in Audio Gold listening to various set ups. I ended up buying an Icon Audio ST 60 and a pair of Tannoy Lancasters - sounded wonderful. :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lizard said:
Thanks for the comments guys. Just spent the afternoon in Audio Gold listening to various set ups. I ended up buying an Icon Audio ST 60 and a pair of Tannoy Lancasters - sounded wonderful. :)

I looked at their site after I posted and saw the Icon amps and thought they would be the most suitable ones for your needs... enjoy!

They've got some quite interesting gear there.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS