UTTER SKY RIP OFF !!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Given that it is possible to stream football match broadcasts live from the internet, at no cost (including SKY, even at 3pm on a Saturday), I imagine fewer people are using the pub for viewing footie anyway.

The price hike seems extortionate and seems as if SKY is deliberately pricing ls out of the market for some reason. I can't imagine the advertisers are that happy with the reduced audience this will result in.

A

Anonymous

When castigating anybody or company for charging for services, you may want to remind yourselves that your "premiership heroes" get paid insane and obscene amounts of money for trotting around a park and kicking a bag of wind about.

That money has to come from somewhere.

Go back to the dark ages in football if you like but you may be old enough to remember that if SKY hadn't have rolled up with their cash there wouldn't have been a Premier League now in the form you all love so much and a euro super league would of emerged and you don't need a city banker to tell you how much money you would be shelling out for that experience.

Enjoy it while you can, there is nothing else on the market that comes close

idc

GC69, football alone does not explain the high cost of Sky in pubs, it is purely commercial and down to lack of competition. I also think that you are making far too many assumptions in your made up scenario about what would have become of the premiership if Sky had not become involved.

Lets get back to arguing and only one person gets to tell me to calm down.....................dear!

A

Anonymous

GC69:When castigating anybody or company for charging for services, you may want to remind yourselves that your "premiership heroes" get paid insane and obscene amounts of money for trotting around a park and kicking a bag of wind about.

That money has to come from somewhere.

Go back to the dark ages in football if you like but you may be old enough to remember that if SKY hadn't have rolled up with their cash there wouldn't have been a Premier League now in the form you all love so much and a euro super league would of emerged and you don't need a city banker to tell you how much money you would be shelling out for that experience.

Enjoy it while you can, there is nothing else on the market that comes close

GC69 what are you on about,

the topic is clearly about sky charging a obscene amount of money not only to the general public but the pub trade as well, not to mention the overblown sums of dosh created from sponsorship and advertising!

Not about long winded observations and reflections of yesteryear.
now come on!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
bulloy:Only one problem with that! No premiership football, all the other sports are short period or intermitant through the year. Never the less it could be the way forward nice one!

You're right about the Premiership football but if the choice comes down to losing Sky through the price and thus having no tv in the pub or having some sport available through Freesat, then I suggest Freesat is an answer as its better than no sport at all. There are also a surprising number of UEFA and Champions League Matches throughout the year.

idc

Does anyone know if the price varies depending on the size of the pub? So a sports bar with massive screens pays more than your local with a TV? I know someone who would love to join in this argument, but her team are on their way down, so no Sky for them!

delia_280x390_369778a.jpg

A

Anonymous

I think it applies to the rateable value of the boozer and not the screens in the pub,
how sky can get that info and apply it, is beyond me!

Maybe someone from sky can join the debate and shine a little light ...!

Oh well probably not

A

Anonymous

Thanks to idc & bulloy for putting me straight.
I momentarily had my own opinion and now humbly recognise thats not warranted on an "open forum" nor allowed anymore.

Apologies for joining in with a different view.

One point to consider - why on earth would anybody from SKY join in? Whatever they said would be disregarded out of hand even if it had any basis in fact or sound economic principles applied to it.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

MY GOD! NO FOOTBALL!........ FORGET THE CREDIT CRUNCH.......THE WORLD WILL END IF THERE IS NO FOOTBALL ON TV. MY HEART BLEEDS................NOT!

A

Anonymous

GC69:Thanks to idc & bulloy for putting me straight.
I momentarily had my own opinion and now humbly recognise thats not warranted on an "open forum" nor allowed anymore.

Apologies for joining in with a different view.

One point to consider - why on earth would anybody from SKY join in? Whatever they said would be disregarded out of hand even if it had any basis in fact or sound economic principles applied to it.

Thanks again

Dont be like that GC69 your opinion is always allowed, even though it has nothing to do with what the topic is on about......It will come in handy even if I never use it!
Ditto Marineman

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
bulloy:I think it applies to the rateable value of the boozer and not the screens in the pub, how sky can get that info and apply it, is beyond me! Maybe someone from sky can join the debate and shine a little light ...! Oh well probably not

Its the rateable value.

There's a table of costs here:

http://business.sky.com/page.asp?name=pricing_pubs_and_clubs

For a pub with a rateable value of £550,000+ (not that high for most urban pubs as they're usually large buildings) its @£2,800 per month for the base package and £3,000 per month for the ultimate excluding racing and movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts