Using my Leema Pulse as a Pre-Amplifier?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I am probably going to buy some Dynaudio Focus 160's to upgrade my X-12 Excites, once a property settlement goes through shortly. As much as I love my pulse my only little worry is the Leema running out of steam at higher volumes. So I am reading the What Hifi review and it stated it has pre-outs to add a power amp. So is that my solution? As much as I love hifi etc I am still quite not up with things when you want to be a little bit fancy. If so what brands or models should I be looking at that would suit the Leema and my all types of music and I want it smooth, non-fatiguing and fun sound that I already have.

Thank You again.

I personally wouldn't use it as a pre-amp. I'm sure it would be fine but this is one area I'd be reluctant to mix 'n' match (with any brand). I'd personally look at speakers that are easier to drive: Dyns are very demanding and something like PMC would be the ideal answer. Or if you really need to crank it up high (and keep the Dyns) change amp.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess my budget would be around 1000 pound new but willing to look at second hand, but if mixing and matching brands is not a great idea it may come down to a new amp or PMC speakers, unless Leema do a power amp in that budget range? Living in Northern Territory Australia heavily limits my trying out abilities, we are so far away from every where else! Who knows I might have to take a holiday to a southern state and make a hifi visit too!

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
As my father is a Kiwi and I have plenty of family there I am trying to find out how much a Plinius 9200 is there and get them to post it over. But I think that would be my final amp in my lifetime!

ABM78 said:
As my father is a Kiwi and I have plenty of family there I am trying to find out how much a Plinius 9200 is there and get them to post it over. But I think that would be my final amp in my lifetime!

Hi ABM78

Dynaudio speakers work a treat with Plinius amplification :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ABM78 said:

That's a much better plan, provided of course, you like it - which is highly likely.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
:rofl: yeah I am getting ahead of myself aren't I... haha, the thing is Sorrelltiger is the Leema has run out of juice running the xcites... but I do enjoy the sound the combo gives me at all volumes.

PP - Looks like a Plinius 9200 will set me back about 2500 pound...I still may consider...you see I have just seperated from a long time partner and with sale of our property and the release of not having to pay a mortgage for a while I am thinking about finally lashing out and getting a system that I will keep for a good 10 years... I have some items I can sell to fund it as well I have given the ex the Wharfedale 9.1's and sub as she is not that into hi-fi and I can sell the B&W's, the Excites and Pulse if I must (although would rather keep the leema and excites for a second system)...anyway rambling...

I guess we shall wait and see :)

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
:rofl: yeah I am getting ahead of myself aren't I... haha, the thing is Sorrelltiger is the Leema has run out of juice running the xcites... but I do enjoy the sound the combo gives me at all volumes.

PP - Looks like a Plinius 9200 will set me back about 2500 pound...I still may consider...you see I have just seperated from a long time partner and with sale of our property and the release of not having to pay a mortgage for a while I am thinking about finally lashing out and getting a system that I will keep for a good 10 years... I have some items I can sell to fund it as well I have given the ex the Wharfedale 9.1's and sub as she is not that into hi-fi and I can sell the B&W's, the Excites and Pulse if I must (although would rather keep the leema and excites for a second system)...anyway rambling...

ABM78 said:

That's why I mentioned the Leema Tucana. It can be picked up for around £1500 or thereabouts and it'll have the same presentaion as the Pulse and twice as good, at least. Whereas the Plinius may not have the sound you like.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I assume your talking Tucana I, after you mentioned it I looked around for a seller here in Australia...and are you ready for it..... for a Tucana mk II the list price was $9500!!!!! Thats 6000 pounds!!!!! :O I'm not paying those Australian theiving retailers that much money! I think finding a Tucana I here second hand is going to be extremely difficult, I guess will keep an eye on the UK site.

I know its a good point about possibly not liking it, have you at all had the opportunity to listen to a Plinius amp? Settlement is about 4-6 weeks away anyway so still have time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts