Using Chord Mojo as part of hifi setup?

JD68

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have an opinion on using the Chord Mojo as a dedicated DAC within a Hifi? It is very much advertised as a portable DAC, but it would do as good a job as similarly priced mains-powered DACs in a Hifi? I know it has a line out for this purpose but I can't seem to find anything online about whether a USB charged battery will be as effective as say the RDAC.

Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
JD68 said:
Does anyone have an opinion on using the Chord Mojo as a dedicated DAC within a Hifi? It is very much advertised as a portable DAC, but it would do as good a job as similarly priced mains-powered DACs in a Hifi? I know it has a line out for this purpose but  I can't seem to find anything online about whether a USB charged battery will be as effective as say the RDAC.

Thanks

If the reviews are accurate then its almost as good as the hugo but then youd need to see what connections are available and how many digital outs you require.

If i were in the market for a good dac, this one would be on my demo list.

when the battery eventually fails...can it be replaced, is the mojo pretty much done or can it be powered through the mains also.the review is not clear on this matter.Also no rca out,which rules out a conventional connection to an integrated amp.I would be removing a star straight away for features then.everything chord does gets five stars for some reason or other.maybe they sound good or something.what do I know I can only about manage the price of a cable from them.lol.

JD68

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I have emailed Chord about the connectivity, waiting for a reply. The instruction manual doesn't make it clear at all.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
It has a regular optical input, a coaxial via 3.5mm adaptor input and a mini usb input. Outputs are 2 x 3.5mm outputs. However the output is only 600mv or so unlike say a CD player which is 2.1v output. You could possibly connect to your amp via 3.5 to RCA but you'd have to turn your amp way up, almost full maybe.

The Hugo has 1 or 2 more inputs and full line level rca output. These luxuries cost you £1000.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
So it's basically a £400 dac for an i phone or other portable device.no thanks.

Wait a few months, there'll be a desktop version with aforementioned missing features. It'll cost, oh say £1000.

If I recently purchased a Hugo I'd be pretty p.o. right now.

JD68

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure thisis correct Chris?

The Mojo manual actually says:

To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit.

Are you thinking of the headphone output mode?

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Anything I read about it didn't suggest this feature, if it can do this then I see no reason why it couldn't be used in a full system. It is meant to get fairly hot when plugged in however, I wonder how long the battery will last at 3v output? It's making the £1400 Hugo very unappealing if it can be used successfully in a full system. Might even have a look at one myself*biggrin*

JD68

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Anything I read about it didn't suggest this feature, if it can do this then I see no reason why it couldn't be used in a full system. It is meant to get fairly hot when plugged in however, I wonder how long the battery will last at 3v output? It's making the £1400 Hugo very unappealing if it can be used successfully in a full system. Might even have a look at one myself*biggrin*

The manual is here

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/manual/Mojo-User-Manual.pdf

So you mean it would be suitable? I suppose you would have to keep it charged up which is a bit of a pain - I always forget to charge USB powered devices!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
It has a regular optical input, a coaxial via 3.5mm adaptor input and a mini usb input. Outputs are 2 x 3.5mm outputs. However the output is only 600mv or so unlike say a CD player which is 2.1v output. You could possibly connect to your amp via 3.5 to RCA but you'd have to turn your amp way up, almost full maybe.

The Hugo has 1 or 2 more inputs and full line level rca output. These luxuries cost you £1000.

How about the 2Qute for £995 (instead of the £1400 Hugo)? ...

http://www.whathifi.com/chord/2qute/review

It's still pretty compact.

... I'm just a bit concerned about the battery. Originally purchased as travel/headphone amp but my local dealer decided to order a few to check out so when I went to pick it up he had another one connected to his macbook pro driving VTL / Wilson Sashas. Was amazing just how good it was .... you'd be hard pressed to find something better sounding under $2k.

I got it connected to my system (mac mini running amarra, Cary Cinema 12 Processor, Cary Cinema 5 amp, and Joseph Audio speakers). The Cary's DAC is pretty solid ... but this doesn seem to provide a bit more detail than the Cary's buillt in Burr Brown DAC. Unfortunately , no way to remotely turn on and off so I may just use it for critical listening. I'll check with chord on battery life, etc. since I'd love to just leave it connected but don't want to ruin the battery so it's still good to use for travel.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
JD68 said:
Does anyone have an opinion on using the Chord Mojo as a dedicated DAC within a Hifi? It is very much advertised as a portable DAC, but it would do as good a job as similarly priced mains-powered DACs in a Hifi? I know it has a line out for this purpose but I can't seem to find anything online about whether a USB charged battery will be as effective as say the RDAC.

Thanks

It can be used. It has been recommended to discharge fully the battery on a ragular basis though. The way to use the Mojo in a hi-fi is to fully charge it, then leave it plugged in. (However discharging it regularly, it's said keeps the battery healthy.)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps an M DAC, or if budget allows an M DAC+ from Audiolab... have heard they're more analogue sounding than Chord DACS.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts