Using Blu-Ray player thru TV

Batteneye

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. This is my first post so I hope I provide sufficient info to get help.

I have a Panasonic flat screen TV with 3 hdmi connects but no optical input. I also have a Sky plus box which is connected to the TV and works fine. Until recently I was using a Panasonic Blu-Ray player via the TV and 5.1 front and surround speakers with a sub woofer (Home Theatre set up).

Due to the need to decorate the room (according to my wife) I have had to remove and disconnect all the speakers attached to the Blu-Ray. I now want to (temporarily) operate the player via the TV speakers (either the internal speakers or, preferably, the Q-TV2 externals).

There is an HDMI connection between the player and the TV and an optical connection from the player to the Sky+. I can get picture, but no sound from the player via the TV. I have sound on the player set to CF. I would really appreciate some help here. If I'm missing something basic, I won't mind looking stupid.

Thanks in advance.

Batteneye

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure why you have an optical connection between the Blu-ray player and the Sky+ (if I've read that right?). All you really need is for both the Blu-ray and the Sky+ to be connected into the TV via HDMI - that's it. You might well need to tell the Blu-ray player to output stereo sound via the HDMI - this should be in the settings somewhere.

If you're having issues, list the model numbers of the Panasonic TV and Blu-ray player and we'll see what we can do for you.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Not sure why you have an optical connection between the Blu-ray player and the Sky+ (if I've read that right?). All you really need is for both the Blu-ray and the Sky+ to be connected into the TV via HDMI - that's it. You might well need to tell the Blu-ray player to output stereo sound via the HDMI - this should be in the settings somewhere.

Yes, from what I've seen of these all-in-one units they disable sending audio down the HDMI by default. Been caught by that one in the past.

Batteneye

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for your rapid response to my query. I've removed the optical lead from the sky+ box>blu-ray player and it's made no difference (Still works). I now have merely an HDMI cable from each device to my TV as advised. Still not a peep.

The TV is a Panasonic TX-P42G20B

The Blue- Ray is a Panasonic SC-BT205 or 200 (not sure which)

On the remote there are 'Surround' options as follows:

Manual 1 - Mutli Channel - Standard

and 'Sound' options as follows:

CF

W,5,

Eq Clear

Sub W 1

Ive tried them all. - No joy

I'm now going to swap over the two HDMI cables to see what ahappens.

Thanks again to both of you for your interest in my problem.

Batteneye

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RTFM!!!

Batteneye said:
Thanks to both of you for your rapid response to my query. I've removed the optical lead from the sky+ box>blu-ray player and it's made no difference (Still works). I now have merely an HDMI cable from each device to my TV as advised. Still not a peep.

The TV is a Panasonic TX-P42G20B

The Blue- Ray is a Panasonic SC-BT205 or 200 (not sure which)

Doesn't matter, it's the same manual, the only difference between them is the speakers, the amplfier unit is the same.

Page 39:

Settings - TV/Device Connection - HDMI Audio Output set to "ON".

Batteneye

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much! It works a treat now. I've been fiddling with the cables for a couple of days. Now can I assume for future reference that HDMI is the way to go for the foreseeable future?

Thanks to all who helped.

Batteneye

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts