Using B&W M-1 Speakers for front and centre and different Brand (KEF 1005.2) for rear effects?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have just purchased the M-25 B&W home theater package but would like to use different speakers for the rears to free up 2 of the M-1s for a 2.1 set-up in another room.(I feel it is a waste to use the nice M-1s for rear effects)

Was thinking of using speakers from either the KEF 1005.2 or the Boston Soundware for the rears, then use the spare sub from the package for use with 2 of the M-1s for the 2.1 set-up.

I know it would be best just to buy another 2 of the M-1s and a sub but the cost for this is too high here in NZ, and I can get a good deal on the KEFs (or Bostons)

My question is would the 5.1 set-up with the KEF (or Boston) effects for the rears still sound good?

Cheers,

Ian

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's not as important for the rears to be the same as the front three speakers, but I think you'll still lose something when you do this. Are you able to audition the KEFs acting as rears with the B&Ws as fronts somewhere vs the full B&W setup to see what you think?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Since it sounds like you're doing without a sub in the second room, might it be better to just go for a pair of decent stereo speakers? Maybe wouldn't cost too much, and give a bit more lower down.

Not sure how this fits in terms of style in the second room.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Whilst its not as important. Ive tried 2 different rears in the past and the system never sounded right. So id highly recommend using the same through the whole system personally

A

Anonymous

Actually replacing a good set of floorstanding speakers in the second room to get more space. Intend to mount the M-1 high on the wall and will use a sub somewhere in the room to add base.

Thank you all for the advice, pretty much what i thought. (Unfortunately I can't audition as no shops in NZ sell both sets of speakers)

A

Anonymous

Another quick question:

If using M-1s for a 2.1 setup for listening to music, is it important to have the same brand of sub, or will any good sub be acceptable?

Cheers, Ian

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Are you able to get hold of a pair of LM-1 for the rears?

Not sure if these are a current B&W speaker any more, but cheaper than M-1 and does the job as rear speaker. And they will have a very similar sound signature to M-1

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Leachio:If using M-1s for a 2.1 setup for listening to music, is it important to have the same brand of sub, or will any good sub be acceptable?

In my experience, keeping brand loyalty is least important between the main speakers in the room and the sub (if important at all). So I'd say any decent sub will be more than acceptable with the B&Ws.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts