Using a DAC with the Sony BDP-S370?

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
At the moment, I am using a Marantz CD5400 CDP with my Marantz NR1501 AVR (in stereo mode) for music into Mordaunt Short 902 speakers. In an ideal world, I should like to ditch the CD Player and use my Sony BDP-S370 for CDs but the Sony is a lousy CD Player and the drop in quality is just too much. Would using a DAC between the BDP and AVR do much to raise the sound quality and how close would it go to my current CDP? If it was worth it, I might be pushed to a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic but I would also appreciate opinions on any of the CYP DACs fro LektroPacks (as advertised in WHF). Cheers

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Chebby, In short 'no' but thanks for the input and I think I have an optical cable somewhere and will dig it out to try. Will report back tomorrow. In meantime, any other views much appreciated.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
I use a similar setup at home, CA 650BD through CA's DacMagic and on to Sony's 3500es receiver and there is a definite improvement to the sound coming out of my speakers.

A

Anonymous

i use a vdac with my s370 and the sound is as good (if not slightly better) than my old and now departed cd6003....

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Atkins, That's very interesting, particularly as the 650BD has such a good reputation as a CD spinner in the first place.

Max, That's encouraging.

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I would still be interested in others views on the original post and also any comparisons between the VDAC and DACMagic.

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same boat as you (ie wanting a BR player, but still want a good CD player performances).

My option however is slightly different (ie rather than looking for a DAC, instead looking for a good BR player that can also double up as a good enough CD player).

You CDP is a Marantz CD5004. A good enough Blue Ray Players like Marantz UD5005 or 7006 or an OPPO BDP93 or 95 should be able to do the job just right (you can even play around the various input available, HDMI, Analogue and the 2 different Digitals).

On top of this, you still have extra format to try on like the DVD-A & SACD, HDCD and etc ....

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Chebby, Tried your now suggestion by feeding CD music from the BDP to AVR with via optical and the difference from using HDMI was immediately apparent. Indeed, I don't even think that I can now hear any difference between the BDP and CDP (with some £70 Ixos analogues - can't remember the exact model). Thanks.

I guess the next question to be addressed is whether or not I will get any additional advantage out of using a DAC between the BDP and AVR (as mentioned before for CD music only - HDMI will remain in place for TV/movies etc.).

There must be others out there who can offer advice.

Tane, Thanks also but having just bought the Sony and a few other (non AV related) toys, not sure I can swing another £500 or thereabouts past my wife!!

T

the record spot

I use the Spitfire II DAC by Firestone Audio and found it a better DAC for my preferences to the DACMagic (for audio, I thought it rather cold, clinical and uninvolving and this was used in a wide variety of situations - USB, optical but not the XLR connectors). Not sure if you can still pick one up for £150, but they're very, very impressive for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts