Using a CDP as a transport

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm busy setting up a desktop system for spotify and radio 6 etc on my kitchen table

so far, I have an old Pioneer SX-700L Receiver connected to 2 old Wharfedale diamond speakers (the very 1st model with the rear port)

The Receiver is connected to my laptop via a cable from the laptop headphone outlet (no seperate DAC at the moment)

It sounds good (a lot better than using desktop PC speakers)

I have lent an old Pioneer PD-7700 stable platter to a friend. I will be getting it back later this week. I have read that the old Pioneer PD series CD players make good transports.

What does that mean?

Can I connect the laptop to the CD Player and use the built in DAC of the CD player instead of buying a seperate DAC? ...

If I can, I may do this until I can afford a stand alone DAC

I wont be using the CD player to listen to CD's

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunatly you cannot use the Pioneer onboard DAC. Rarerly any of the old players have that feature (Digital IN and OUT). That was mostly found in digital players with recording facilities (mini disc, DAT and CDR).

You can use the player as transport just to read the CDs. It will bypass its own Digital to Analog Conversion and send the digital signal to an outboard DAC (via coax or optical), where the PCM will be converted to analog signal.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Unfortunatly you cannot use the Pioneer onboard DAC. Rarerly any of the old players have that feature (Digital IN and OUT). That was mostly found in digital players with recording facilities (mini disc, DAT and CDR).

You can use the player as transport just to read the CDs. It will bypass its own Digital to Analog Conversion and send the digital signal to an outboard DAC (via coax or optical), where the PCM will be converted to analog signal.

Thanks ... so it looks like a DAC is on my shopping list ...

I will have no use for the CD player and will most prob sell it and get a used small cheap DAC

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
these are the connections on the back:

8.JPG

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
dim_span said:
these are the connections on the back:

The CD Player has no digital inputs. You cannot use it as a DAC for your laptop. Using a CDP as a transport means that you would be using it to read the data from a CD and then send the data to an external DAC.

Vlad explained it perfectly above.

TRENDING THREADS