USB vs. Toslink

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys

Say your computer (like my macbook pro) has optical out (incorporated in the mini jack / headphone out). What is the better way to connect it to your DAC (like my M1 DAC): USB or Toslink?

Thx

philbirch

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it all depends on the specific DAC and macbook as to which sounds best. There are some advantages to both methods but I've come to the conculsion that the specific implementation of the technology has a greater impact than the choice of technology. The only way to know is to do a blind ABX test with both.

philbirch

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it all depends on the specific DAC and macbook as to which sounds best. There are some advantages to both methods but I've come to the conculsion that the specific implementation of the technology has a greater impact than the choice of technology. The only way to know is to do a blind ABX test with both.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Soulman,

I would be inclined to say USB provided your M1 DAC has an asynchronous USB (as I understand it, there was a version without). Connecting this way should deliver the best performance.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the DAC, they are not all created equal. Say you have a Cyrus 8 DAC integrated amp, its DAC has USB and Optical (Toslink). The USB accepts only 16bit / 48kHz whereas the Optical accepts 24bit / 192kHz. So if you want hi-res music on that DAC you have to use Optical.

If you have both, give them both a listen. Chances are you may not notice a difference.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My experience has been that with my M-DAC - it sounds a little bit better through its async USB. However, USB can suffer from induced noise if the source's power supply is dirty (like my Sony laptop's) where an optical connection will by not having an electrical connection, not suffer from that problem.

Async USB mode is theoretcally better in that the DAC controls the source's clock, hence reduces jitter. So there are techical reasons why it might sound superior.

TRENDING THREADS