USB to Optical converter

Kastner

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I have never used one before and have just come across this converter on ebay but for connecting a laptop to an amp with built in DAC I am thinking this may work. The laptop has only an analogue 3.5mm jack so surely the usb to optical converter would be best?

jjbomber

Kastner said:
I have never used one before and have just come across this converter on ebay but for connecting a laptop to an amp with built in DAC I am thinking this may work. The laptop has only an analogue 3.5mm jack so surely the usb to optical converter would be best?

I use a Turtle Beach Micro II, which is excellent, though not high res.

Gray

insider9 said:
How much is the converter? How good is the DAC in the amp? Depending on these two may be a better solution getting a USB DAC.

I agree with insider. I bought one to go from a laptop to an amp. (These days I've got it plugged into a Raspberry Pi to play files from that - which is another option if you rip a CD collection to a separate hard drive)

Kastner

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
£20 for the converter to connect Marantz PM6006. I am considering the Cambridge Audio XS V2 DAC anyway but this would be primarily for headphones from laptop

gasolin

Behringer uca202

UCA202-large.jpg

D

Deleted member 108165

Kastner said:
DAC and ADC?

I bought a UFO202 for ADC duties and it was cr*p. If the DAC in the UCA202 is the same then that'll be cr*p too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have sold/given this dac to several people for a totally simple computer based system, with fine results.

Not the greatest dac in the world but in budget and even mid-fi systems the UCA202 is not going to be the limiting factor.

I have used it to drive my Seiwin SN4 actives, controlling volume etc from the laptop, with excellent results, at the time cost about £150, inc cables, maybe £20-30 more at todays prices.

TRENDING THREADS