USB DAC? I want one! But is it worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Octopo:You won't get a DAC that outputs a digital signal. That's the point...

Really? The Trends USB 10.1 outputs both analogue and digital (1 x optical, 2 x co-ax and 1 x AES/EBU) - uses a pretty respectable Burr Brown DAC - has a headphone socket too. I use one here to take audio via USB from my laptop, convert to co-ax and stuff it through my Mark Levinson DAC and hi-fi. It comes in 2 flavours, "regular" and low-fat "lite", which is a slightly stripped down version with fewer digital outputs. Google "Trends 10.1" to find loads of very favourable reviews. Last time I checked, they were about £100ish.

T

the record spot

the record spot:Check out the rather decent M-Audio Transit. Approx £60. It'll do AD and DA conversion, fits in your shirt pocket and seems like a good option.

This DAC's now down to £52 on the web, from the Dolphin Music site. Also has a mini-jack headphone socket too incidentally. Might get one of these myself for the laptop...! Thanks to distance selling regulations, if it doesn't suit, you can return it to DM for a refund.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts