USB DAC? I want one! But is it worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have my Pioneer LX01 speakers connected to my custom PC via an optical audio cable. I also use my Sennheiser ie8's and Beats by Dr. Dre headphones with my PC. I am using the inbuilt audio on the motherboard.

Now first of all, what is an external USB DAC? I undertsand the basics of them (kind of), but are they worth it?

Now here is the fun part, which one should I get? I have up to £200 to spend. It needs to have an optical audio link and a 3.5mm headphone jack!

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Looks fantastic! Does it take the RAW audio data from my PC, and then converts all the audio itself?

A

Anonymous

If I plug my speakers into it via optical, will it give dolby digital?

A

Anonymous

The Beresford is great but I'd be wary if you're using it through your LX01. It's a great piece of kit however, which will serve you well into the future should you choose to upgrade your system. To add, the headphone out isn't up to standard. Still.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
No, you output your music from your Pc via optical or USB. Then let the Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC) decode thissignal and either:-

A: Send the analogue signal to your headphones

or

B: Send the analogue signal to an external amplifier via rca connections

Speakers have to be connected to an amplifier

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Connect your PC to the Caiman

then either

a: Plug headphones into the Caiman and listen

or

b: connect the Caiman to your reciever via RCA interconnects as you would a CDP and listen through your speakers

A

Anonymous

Yes. Very true! If I plug it in to the DAC, will I get dolby digital? True HD? etc... I also want to use the DAC for headphone and earphone use.

A

Anonymous

This DAC will be wasted on your LX01 speakers. Your B&Ws are a different matter altogether. If you're after a good headphone amp the Beresford doesn't come close in this price range.

A

Anonymous

Here is my ideal (I am sorry I am such a 'noob' at this), I want an external USB DAC that will improve the audio quality of my LX01's via optical. I want the DAC to be plugged in via USB. I want it to sound great with my Sennheiser ie8's, Beats by Dr. Dre, etc... I am NOT using this with my home cinema system, just my PC. Also, if I could use my SE USB2200a mic with it via analogue XLR, that would be great as well :)

A

Anonymous

You won't get a DAC that outputs a digital signal. That's the point...

T

the record spot

Check out the rather decent M-Audio Transit. Approx £60. It'll do AD and DA conversion, fits in your shirt pocket and seems like a good option.

Messiah

Sorry to go off topic guys but AJ, how do you rate the Beats?? I am really interested in these as I love Rap/Hip Hop so some headphones designed by Dr Dre should suit the genre perfectly.........

A

Anonymous

Messiah,I can give you my opinion of the Beats which is that they are a fantastic set of earphones and would definately suit your style of music, they exhibit terrific bass reproduction.

I did a back to back comparisson with Bose QC3's (I think that was the model) and the only thing the Bose were better at to my ears was noise cancellation. The Beats are OK, but for example on a plane you can still hear a little engine drone, well at least until to turn the volume up!

emotion-2.gif

jcoops16

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I think you might be interested in the nuforce icon udac. Its a usb powered dac with 3.5mm headphone output along with rca out and it has digital out also, though this is coaxial not optical. all for $99. I dont know of any shops selling it at the moment though as it is fairly new.

Messiah

sillyoldman:
Messiah,I can give you my opinion of the Beats which is that they are a fantastic set of earphones and would definately suit your style of music, they exhibit terrific bass reproduction.

I did a back to back comparisson with Bose QC3's (I think that was the model) and the only thing the Bose were better at to my ears was noise cancellation. The Beats are OK, but for example on a plane you can still hear a little engine drone, well at least until to turn the volume up!

emotion-2.gif

Thanks for the feedback
emotion-1.gif

Gonna have to get saving.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts