USB Cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
Thread trimmed by mods to remove potentially libellous nonsense. Tread carefully max.

I guess it was a tad naughty, sorry :)

PS. It's still there ;)

A

Anonymous

As well as 1 - lying, 2 - unknown variable, there should also be;

3 - is the difference then audbile? Reading through many a cable makers site and there are lots of claims of how their cables are different from other cables. That is then used to suggest their cable is audibly better than others. But there is a missing link there with no evidnece let alone proof that they way they have made the cable, or what it is made of produces better sound, let alone an audible difference. So what if the file size is slightly different. That needs to be shown to cause an audible difference and one that affects sound quality.

4 - peer review of the experiment. If hifi (in its most widespread meaning and as a business ) wants to be taken seriously as a scientific concern, which it appears to do with it many scientific sounding claims, that experiment should now be submitted to an independent review, say a university. In hifi, particulary with cable maker claims, there is a distinct abscence of peer review and no independent endorsements of their claims.

My own experience is that a fancy Oehlbach USB and a no brand one made no difference to me.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Its just my opinion, but the amount of distortion created by different USB cables is so tiny compared to the quite considerable amount of distortion created by a loud speaker and the environment its played in . So the whole point is mute anyway.

My opinion again but it would be impossible for the human ear to detect a difference between USB cables.If there is one!

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
So the whole point is mute anyway.
If only it were-it would stop a lot of argument.
smiley-wink.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Assuming he was comparing the size of the eventual saved JPG file, it doesn't surprise me he got two different values. I've just tried scanning a piece of A4 graph paper at 300dpi, saved it both times at the highest quality (lowest compression) setting and got two different file-sizes myself. Not hugely different, about 5kb. It's just the way scanning and JPG work. Nothing mysterious.

John Duncan

MajorFubar said:
Assuming he was comparing the size of the eventual saved JPG file, it doesn't surprise me he got two different values. I've just tried scanning a piece of A4 graph paper at 300dpi, saved it both times at the highest quality (lowest compression) setting and got two different file-sizes myself. Not hugely different, about 5kb. It's just the way scanning and JPG work. Nothing mysterious.

Precisely. The experiment proves nothing.

SteveR750

moon said:
Its just my opinion, but the amount of distortion created by different USB cables is so tiny compared to the quite considerable amount of distortion created by a loud speaker and the environment its played in . So the whole point is mute anyway.

My opinion again but it would be impossible for the human ear to detect a difference between USB cables.If there is one!

This was/is my feeling too. I'm sure that length is more critical. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts