USA ebay purchase

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
If, big if, - a USA Blu Ray player was selling on ebay - its a top of the range 5000es model - was going on the cheap - would it work over here ? Does it have a power switch to convert it to UK power?

Postage may well scupper this idea anyway?

And I would probably have to buy a new plug but can anyone advise please.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The plug will be the least of your problems: the Sony has an IEC mains inlet on the rear, so it's just a case of changing the mains lead.

However...

There's no simple means of changing over the mains voltage: at least it's going to need an internal modification, and more likely – based on past experience of Sonys – a new transformer, if you can find one to suit.

The alternative is an external step-down transformer from UK voltage to US, but these almost always have a negative effect on performance, and I certainly wouldn't advise using one with a player as good as a Sony ES model.

The player will be US region-coded for both Blu-rays and DVDs, so won't play many discs bought here.

It'll cost a fair bit for shipping, there's the risk of damage in transit, and you'll find yourself having to pay around 25% or so of the cost, maybe even a bit more, to the customs people when the player arrives here.

Finally, if anything goes wrong with the player, or it's faulty when you get it, it's not going to be cheap to repair.

A

Anonymous

And dont forget import duties. Customs and Excise will take their pound of flesh from you. !

A

Anonymous

I`m surprised why don`t you, UK guys, simply move to the US... :)

you`re a native english speakers, have some kind of a common history with the Big Brother...though I`m not sure about the mutual love (just watched 51st state with S.L.Jackson and Robert Carlyle)

and the electronics is sooooooo much cheaper in the US...

damn overpriced EU, shame on it...

but seriously, as the WhatHifi guy said in his post, apart from the warranty and coding issues there`s nothing you should worry about...

and the WhatHifi guy`s explanation of voltage converters and their supposedly poor service is pretty poor, too... :)

modern heavy duty, continuous step-down voltage transformers are the BEST way to make that stupid US-EU cost differencies disappear...they`re rigid, reliable and cost between 80-200 GBP...

I have Pioneer SC-57 Elite AVR (US equivalent of top-line SC-LX85) which I got new in box for hilarious 1300 USD (800 GBP)...as opposed to cca 1700 and more GBP here...

plus a 1500W heavy duty step-down voltage converter and it all works flawlessly...

the frequency is absolutely not an issue, unless you`re using some kind of a clock device (US 60 Hz cycles a bit faster than 50 Hz EU)

which neither AVR nor bluray player stands for...the BDPs even have both 50/60Hz native freq, all over the world...

it`s my 3rd 120V/60Hz AVR over the last years, I can guarantee you there`s no problem with voltage if you use it that way in EU...

I have a friend working in Pioneer EU headquarters in Belgium, he totally confirmed it and encouraged me to use such stuff intended for 120v/60Hz market...

I suggest the WhatHifi guy to first think and then speak..

..and to not be bullsh....ing us with the casual domestic-stuff-only-as-they-pay-me-for-saying-so cliches

There's a lot more to life than the price of goods. In my profession, I work half the number of hours than my US counterpart & still earn the same salary, if not more. I'll prefer watching movies on my comparatively expensive home cinema than not having the time to watch it at all! ;)

It's another matter that the heavy duty step down transformers are usually ugly boxes which will spoil the aesthetics of your living room.

If only you could learn how to be modest & refrain from insulting & attacking other members.....the world would be a better place, wouldn't it? :)

A

Anonymous

It`s not about any kind of insulting whatsoever...

I`m sure you can appreciate that any refusing and misleading advices from the site moderators should stay out of this place, too..

I don`t mind what you do and why would your US counterpart need to work twice more, the topic here was that EU is simply stupidly overpriced in electronics...

and speaking of measurements of such converter, mine is hidden in a closet and has cca 10x12x10 cm / 11kg...that`s about it

also, you can still put it out of sight with US extension cord...

I`m guessing the guy who started this thread wouldn`t mind to manage such thing if he had an opportunity to pay half less for the player...

anyway, why the hell are you so protective? This is electronics forum where people initially seek for advice...not some column in newspaper for crying out personal opinions...

jleholeho said:
It`s not about any kind of insulting whatsoever...

I`m sure you can appreciate that any refusing and misleading advices from the site moderators should stay out of this place, too..

I don`t mind what you do and why would your US counterpart need to work twice more, the topic here was that EU is simply stupidly overpriced in electronics...

and speaking of measurements of such converter, mine is hidden in a closet and has cca 10x12x10 cm / 11kg...that`s about it

also, you can still put it out of sight with US extension cord...

I`m guessing the guy who started this thread wouldn`t mind to manage such thing if he had an opportunity to pay half less for the player...

anyway, why the hell are you so protective? This is electronics forum where people initially seek for advice...not some column in newspaper for crying out personal opinions...

It's not about being protective. You can always answer OP's question & politely disagree with someone's post. The moderator only said that Sony player's performance will be affected by a transformer. In the same way as an upgraded mains cable. There is a section of members who believe in performance benefits of a mains cable (I'm not amongst them) & can see the improvement. It does not mean they're misleading in anyway. They're merely explaining their experience & point of view. It's up to the OP to decide taking all the points into consideration.

The point I was making about US vs UK salaries is, that UK people generally also earn in Pounds. If you take conversion rates into equation, it's more than US. So in terms of affordability, we're no worse than US counterparts. The reason why electronic items are cheaper in the US is simply because of the huge market it offers to manufacturers. If you order more items in bulk, the manufacturer will offer you a cheaper price. UK is a tiny island in comparison.

I usually buy Apple & Bose products from the US to take advantage of this. At least they have an international warranty. :)

A

Anonymous

Fair enough...

I never had an intention of being insultive or aggresive, at all...

unlike the in-house moderator, I can only recommend using a QUALITY step-down transformer for such player, based on my personal experience...if it had been continuously working with my 3 120v/60Hz Elite AVRs over the last years, it surely would have worked with such BDP...and I emphasize again, the guy from Pioneer HQ confirmed it himself...I don´t think any other commercial electronics brand wouldn´t work the same...

you´re right about earnings in the US and the UK..

:cheers:

jleholeho said:
Fair enough...

unlike the in-house moderator, I can only recommend using a QUALITY step-down transformer for such player, based on my personal experience...if it had been continuously working with my 3 120v/60Hz Elite AVRs over the last years, it surely would have worked with such BDP...and I emphasize again, the guy from Pioneer HQ confirmed it himself...I don´t think any other commercial electronics brand wouldn´t work the same...

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
jleholeho said:
Fair enough...

Phew - thank goodness for that.

Thanks for the advice though guys, have decided to steer clear - its the postage and tax duty thats putting me off more than anything else.

But pleased you two have kissed and made up.

:clap:

A

Anonymous

It`s alright, no reason for fights whatsoever :grin:

Yep, I can understand that...I`m lucky that I have a few friends in the US who can manage a shipment from there as a gift so I can overcome goddamn customs here...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts