Urgent help!!! Marantz or Pioneer dvd player???

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have a dilema on my hands and dont know which to buy. I am in the process of upgrading my Pioneer DV757AI as I have a nice new Samsung PS 50Q97HDX plasma and want a dvd player with great upscaling as I believe it will do a better job that that of the screens built in scaler. The 2 models I was thinking of were either the Marantz DV7001 or the Pioneer DV989. Now Price is obviously a issue and I have found the Marantz for £549 multi-region and what with Pioneer haveing a product line up change I have fornd the Pioneer for £399 multi-region, si which is the better investment? Oh the dvd player must also act as my cd player. Cheers DJ KRIME

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If you're going to use the DVD player for CD replay, then I'd go for the Marantz, which is more musical than the Pioneer. The DV989 is great for video replay, but it's not so hot for music.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that, but here is another spanner in the works. Whilst phoning arround trying to get the best deal I could on the Marantz I was offered the Denon 3930 for the same price as the Marantz's rrp of £599, So which is the better all rounder of those 2?

A

Anonymous

Wow. I have the same screen as you and I'm in a similar dilemma having to choose between the Marantz and the new Arcam DV135 offered to me for £700. I'd be really interested in the Denon at £600. Please could you let me know who offered it to you! (You're welcome to e-mail me on willinwestken@yahoo.co.uk) If you'd prefer not to say toooo publicly. No one likes to play retailers off against each other, but that is a really interesting deal!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
It is a one off deal on a ex-demo unit which if I dont go for I will gladly email you the full details. Interestingly enough I have found the Marantz for £455 multi-region but you would have to collect in person from a central london shop. You never relise that upgrading your screen would cause soo many head aches!

A

Anonymous

I agree. I have to say the price on the Marantz is very appealing too! But there has to be a limit, at that price I'd just throw in the towel and buy the Marantz and enjoy a fine machine.

There is always something better, but it's also a case of the law of diminishing marginal returns. Just how much better is the Denon or the Arcam and are they really worth the money when a DV7001 is available for £450!

Any information on the Marantz would be much appreciated!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
It is avalible at Hifi Confidential in either silver or black, 08708507835 but in order to get it at that price you must pay instore which is on Buckingham Palace Rd, sw1. I too am not sure how much extra proformance I would get from the Denon over the Marantz for the extra £150 even tho the rrp on both machines is a £700 differnce.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts