Upscaling SD TV to 1081i?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
If you can but DVD players that can upscale to 720p/1081i why can't you ( or why doesn't sky produce an Upscaling SKY box ) buy an upscaling box to enhance the quality of SD TV?

A

Anonymous

Yes-I guess so Andrew, but surely there must be some smart manufacturer out there that should be able to sieze this opportunity, and what appears to be a loophole in the market, and make such a digital SDTV upscaling box.

A

Anonymous

PS: Wonder if there's a way I can pipe SD SKY via my DIGIBOX through my Upscaling DVD Player to Upscale the SDTV picture? Hey........Just a thought! You know I have a feeling in my water that someone's going to produce an SDTV upscaler

A

Anonymous

It's hardly as though your TV isn't doing this anyway! The Sky SD picture isn't filling a small corner of the TV screen, it's no doubt filling the whole screen. Your TV is scaling it for you.

If it's a good TV it'll probably do a passable or maybe even pretty good job of this.

I'm feeding my TV with a component signal at standard def from my DVD player and the picture is amazing, so there should be no reason for Sky SD to look poor.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, i thought there were seperate TV upscalers out there for sale, but they were prohibitively expensive ?

Axum

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]You know I have a feeling in my water that someone's going to produce an SDTV upscaler[/quote]

Plenty of those already available - only problem is finding one a) able to take SD Sky's RGB output and b) at a sensible price.

A

Anonymous

I suppose really Andrew, rather than me faffing around.... I should really get SKYHD and be done it with, then connect it via HDMI to my TV and also have the box upscale the SD pictures too for me. Just begrudge paying around £250 for another box and then an extra £10 a month.

Can I ask you one more thing? As I already have a DISH/LNB/Cable, apart from a new HDBOX what else will I need for a new installation. I've heard that I will have to have new cable in fact 2 runs of it?....and SKY have advised me that I will always have to have the HDBOX connected to my phone line, even after 12 months?

A

Anonymous

Can't comment on the cable, although this is something i'd like to know as well.

I thought the reason they want you to keep it connected to the phone is so they can check it's still in place, that's what i've been told before with the normal Sky boxes, but apparently you can pay the installer extra for them not to run the phone line, i can't see why it's needed, unless you want to do anything related to betting etc via your Sky box..

Axum

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you already have Sky+, then the same twin runs of cable will be fine. If you only have standard Sky, you'll need two runs in order to allow both the onboard tuners to work giving you 'record one while watching another' capability.

And the phone line? AFAIK it's only for interactive services as Axium has mentioned. We happened to have a spare phone socket near our Sky box, so just plugged it in and forgot it - thus can't really comment on what happens if you don't have the phone line.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Apparently, it is in the contract that you have to have it connected to the phone line for the first year. I got a couple of shirty letters threatening disconnection when I unplugged mine before the end of that time.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The reason that you need your box to be connected to a phone line is simply due to a few reasons.

1) So that the box can preform system updates

2) So that the box can comunicate with Sky alowing them to know if you have viewed any PPV movies or events.

If whilst under contract you fail to have your box conected to the phone, after a few warning letters Sky will charge you full whack regardless of what tv package you have as it is in your agreement with them to have it conected to the phone as it is only fair that you pay for what you watch.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

As i said, the reason they want the box connected is so they know you've not sold the box and it's still connected at the address.

Oh no, so you're telling me, as i've only got Sky SD, my one wire will become two if i ever get SKYHD ?

Err, i don't agree with the above. I was told by the engineer that i could pay a bit extra and they wouldn't HAVE to connect it to the phone line. I've not had mine connected for roughly 3 years now and not been told anything.

I've ordered PPV events, i've even now got Setanta, and i've not connected my phone line up....

Also D.J.Krime, you seem to suggest with "it's only fair you pay for what you watch" that you can somehow watch other channels that aren't in your package....?!

Axum

A

Anonymous

Here's an extract of an email I got from SKY's illustrious Customer Services :

I can confirm that connecting an active telephone line to your Sky HD box is necessary. And even after 12 months it is necessary for your Sky HD box to be connected to telephone line.​

I hope the information is of use to you. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on the details shown above.​

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Axum"]Also D.J.Krime, you seem to suggest with "it's only fair you pay for what you watch" that you can somehow watch other channels that aren't in your package....?![/quote]

It is possible to view all content on Sky without paying a penny but I am not going to go into how it is done as this process of recieving these programs is illeagle and counts as theft.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

I only have one run of cable between my LNB and SKYDIGBOX. Couldn't I keep that just to receive SKYHD as opposed to having another run of cable which I presume would be for recording as I don't record anything and haven't for years.This way all I would need is a SKYHD Box only

A

Anonymous

Apparently so. I think you can just have one cable and still receive HD, but as you say, you lose all your multi-record options..

Axum

A

Anonymous

I've just had it confirmed:

If you already have Sky ( A Dish/LNB and one run of existing cable) you can just swap over your existing SKYDIGIBOX for a SKYHD box. Cost £249.00 plus £60 installation: Total £309

As long as you're not wooried about recording, which I'm not then all you need is one run of cabel and you can use the cable you have according to a SKY independent installer I contacted, and who installed SKY for me some 6 years ago now.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]
I don't record anything and haven't for years.

[/quote]

Blimey, you must be a slave to the TV schedules (and an ad-man's dream)! Other than live sport, I can't remember the last time I watched a programme at the time it was broadcast.

What about the Olympics in HD next year? With the time difference, a lot of the coverage will be in the early hours...(some great films/concerts on in HD at odd times, too).

A

Anonymous

Promise you Clare, I just don't record....period! I can't even remember the last time I pushed a recording button. As for the Olympic's....not that interested really........Love watching a good game of Football though and the Discovery and History channels.......I guess part of me can't really be that bothered once I know a programme's been on. So many programmes are also often repeated so there's always a chance I will be able to see something if I do miss it and even if I had the SKYHD box the 160gb hard disk is likely to be 100% free all the.

I like to come home from work in the evening switch on the TV...and that's it.....Wait for Dealiest Catch!

And no..........I can't stand adverts........I actually loathe all those breaks!

A

Anonymous

Kind of got off topic on this thread! Anywhoo, you can upscale normal TV into 1080p if you like...A Gefen Scaler (or any other Scaler for that matter) will do the job.

From the website:

How it works
The Gefen HD Mate Scaler allows you to upscale and switch your standard definition or high definition component sources to resolutions up to 1080p. Anything from set-top boxes, DVD players to the next generation of gaming consoles including the Xbox 360 and PS3 can be plugged into the HD Mate Scaler.

Expensive (ish) and I've never seen one, but looks like it does the job.

A

Anonymous

www.gefen.com but no HDMI - Looks good though and not a bad price @$349.00 -but then is it any good and could you buy one in the UK

TRENDING THREADS