Uprading my Mcintosh System : any advices ?

Drira

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I need some of your precious advice as I want to upgrade my Hifi system. Currently, I have a integrated Mcintosh MA352, a pair of Klipsch Forte IV and a Transrotor turntable loaded with an Ortofon’s 2M black.

My room is like 30 or 40m2 (I don’t remember exactly) so it is something like 430 square feet (regarding the conversion on google). I do listen to high level of volume, somewhere between 80-90dB. What I enjoy the most in Hifi is the “feeling” of the scene/stage, I LOVE the pure “live sound” I want the musicians to be “in the room” with me. I’m not seeking any of the purest and most detailed sound possible, all I need is enjoyment and musicality. I’m listening 100 % vinyl now but I’m planning on getting some digital source – see below.

So that you get what I have and what I want, and I do get that sound with my actual MA352, but I would like to go for a separated system: preamp + amp and so that I can upgrade my cartridge to a Moving Coil (Ortofon quintet black maybe) and get the Mcintosh DAC included in their new preamp. (Something important is that I tried two DACs : ATOLL ST300 and the Bluesound’s NODE but I didn’t like the ATOLL because of too acidity and detail and the Node was fine but lacking some sweetness)

So here the thing, what should I do between those two options:
  • One MC275 MK VI for amp and a C2600 as preamp (All tubes)
  • Two MC275 MK VI for amps (they can go monoblock) and a C2600 as Preamp (All tubes but with greater channel separation)
  • MC452 (4x450W SS) and a C2600 as pre amp (SS amp and Tube as pre amp)

My hesitations are then on those three-configuration given the fact that I listen to a vast variety of music: 40 % Rock, 20% Jazz/Blues, 20 % Classical and 20 % Pop/Electro.

Notes for you: I said MC452 and C2600 because I’d rather not spent the extra money for the newest McIntosh product as these two are fine and can be found on the used market easily.

It would be appreciable if you could give me some advice or either new ideas of upgrade beyond the three options I gave you.

Have a nice day ! Regards.

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
Hello, this is something I can't do. There is not way to audition these product in my area. That's why I'm looking for help on forums.
do you prefer the mcintosh sound? i liked the older mcintosh amps but not a fan of their more recent offerings. if you like rock, perhaps naim pre power combo is a good option to try?

Reactions: Drira

Drira

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
do you prefer the mcintosh sound? i liked the older mcintosh amps but not a fan of their more recent offerings. if you like rock, perhaps naim pre power combo is a good option to try?
Yeah I do love the Mcintosh sound. I won't go for anything else than this brand, except of Aries Cerat for the "mojo" haha

Welcome to the forum! I’m one of the many that Al refers to, having not heard the McIntosh models you mention.

I heard recently the newest MA12000 integrated, and it was powerful enough to break earth’s orbit with your speakers. You definitely don’t need more power, so I’d forget the monoblocks and the Solid State alternatives.

However, I would encourage you to walk, drive, fly, sail or do whatever you can to hear Klipsch Cornwall IV as I think they are wonderful, and not hugely more expensive than your Fortes. I heard them recently and they were terrific, completely against my expectations. Dramatic, alive, uncoloured - and this with about 60 watts of tubed amps.

If you listen a lot to LPs then yes, get a Quintet MC, or ideally a Cadenza Black, or the slighter easier to set up Bronze. That’s another query in terms of the best step up device. If you listen to other sources, let’s consider if they are optimum.

Reactions: twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I second the cornwalls Mine are hooked up with 20watts of class A and it’s still enough to fill that room.

I think Mcintosh do valve bases systems don’t they? I could be wrong. That’s where I’d start if they do, klipsch love valves.

As others have mentioned go and demo. If you’ve spending that sort of money what’s a 3-400£$ plain train ticket, at least speak to a dealer and get here thoughts it actually may open your mind to other options as well you never know.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Moonfanatic

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
I’d agree with what others have said. For the sort of money you are looking at, it’s absolutely essential you go to a dealer and listen. The only thing I would say is that given the level you are already at, you might be disappointed with the difference you hear. What I mean is that, to extract an extra 5% of performance, you have to spend a disproportionate amount of money. Good luck, take your time.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
There's actually a retail dealer close to where I live that sells McIntosh and they have almost everything on demo. I was shocked to see this.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Because I didn't know where the OP lives and I might could help him??? It's not really THAT old... less than a year? Delete my comments if you want mister mod! lol geez

Because I didn't know where the OP lives and I might could help him??? It's not really THAT old... less than a year? Delete my comments if you want mister mod! lol geez
Almost a year and the dealerships for said equipment are rather rare.
The fact there is one close you is interesting but irrelevant, there isn't one close to the OP.
Lol geez is appropriate here I guess......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts