Upgraditis strikes

iamj

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am currently listening on the following setup;

Project Debut Carbon w/ 2M Red, Project Phonobox 2, NAD D3020, Focal Aria 906

I made my own cables with some Van Damme cable which has improved clarity on the bog standard RCA cables I had. Speaker cables are QED Silver Anni.

I only recently got the Focal, and I feel they are being slightly let down.

The most obvious upgrade to me is the amp, but I would like a Naim and I don't have the cash yet.

The most value for money upgrades seem to me to be the phono stage and the cartridge/stylus.

I have nothing to compare the 2M Red to unfortunately as it is my 1st turntable, but for lack of a better explanation, I feel like I want more musicality/life. It seems, well, just a bit dull at times and looking at reviews this has been mentioned of the 2M Red on occassion. I also think that the phono stage is probably one of the weakest points and have been looking at possible upgrades such as GS Gram Amp 2 Communicator or Rega Fono and generally scouring ebay for anything that might be worthwhile.

Do you think the phono is worth upgrading? If so any ideas other than my suggestions? What would be the potential cut off point on what could get the best out of the PDC?

Cartridge - will a new phono bring more life out of the 2M Red? If not, I have been looking at Nagaoka and could probably stretch to MP-200, worth it? I have read they track really well and have lots of musicality.

Thanks for any advice, I am enjoying the journey of discovering new music and appreciate any input.

J

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
If I were you, I would look to the phono stage first. Cut off points are difficult to define, because the cut off for your current TT won't be the cut off for you next TT. I would get the best phono stage you can afford and then when you can next afford an upgrade look at the cartridge. I had intended to get the Gram Amp, but decided to home loan the Reflex M and am very glad I did.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Try upgrading your cartridge with the Ortofon 2M Blue stylus; it uses the same cartridge body as 2M Red, so it's a simple swap, requiring no technical know-how and will provide a vast improvement.

I did exactly that with my Project Xpression III (came with factory-fitted 2M Red) and was amazed at the difference, the improvement was well worth the money spent.

iancass

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with the above about swapping the stylus to a Blue. Also make sure your records are clean as it makes a massive difference.

iamj

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I will look into the Blue stylus swap, although I had read that the Blue was slightly brighter so had dismissed initially.

The GS Reflex M is out of budget, however, I have probably made up my mind to try a Heed Questar MM for the moment.

Thanks again

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
iamj said:
Thanks, didn't know that was possible so will look into it, might be able to do a comparison that way.

Just join the forum and then send a PM to Fatmangolf (aka Jon Berg) to arrange a home loan. If you hang around the forum and participate you can earn discount on purchases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts