Upgrading to Onkyo TX-SR875

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings from Istanbul. Having lived in UK for 10 years I acquired the British Ear for music which is why I keep a close eye on What - Hifi reviews. I just added a Sony PS3 and Sony 40W3000 LCD TV to my existing AV Receiver Onkyo TX-DS777, Pioneer DVD DV-668 AV, BOSE Acustimass 10 III and a Sky-HDTV alike Satellite Receiver for Digiturk for HD boradcast. My current problem is that the AV Receiver does not have any HDMI input hence I run the Satellite Receiver and PS3 thru the TV via HDMI and use TV's optical out to link with AV Receiver. I have two questions: 1) Is it worth upgrading to TX-SR 875 (it would solve my HDMI input problem, upscale SAT REC & DVD, and receive DTS sound on BD from PS3)? 2) If I did upgrade, then would the existing speaker system handle the 875? Apparently Bose says max up to 150 watts while 875 is rated at 170 watts? On the other hand not all speaker names are readily available in Turkey, except for B&W. Could anyone suggest a solution from B&W for the 875 set up? The living room is approx 8m by 5m. I would be using this system for only home cinema as I have another Meridian based system for solely listening to CD Music. Thanks a lot in advance...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for nothing!! This forum has been really useful...

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Take a chill pill. Not everyone is on here all the time and there is a massive Hi-fi show on in the UK at the moment so the WHF team are busy elsewhere.

I can answer your first question.

You can run the PS3 and HD-TV into the amplifier via HDMI. It will upscale (very well) all your sources and act as an AV switcher. It will also do HD sound from Blu-ray and PS3 games. I feel that HD sound is well worth the cost.

The other question I am less qualified to answer. However, it has already been suggested on these forums that Bose speakers are not the best that could be used with the 875. Judging from the reviews the B&W speakers would definitely be a good place to start.

A

Anonymous

Thank you VoodooDoc. Yes, I did realize that the show was on later on, so not a chill pill but a few pints of guiness went down well :)

Nevertheless, I went out and bought the 875!! It does upscale the Pioneer DV-668 DVD player pretty well. But I just could not get the appropriate sound from PS3. It displays as "All Channel Stereo" when playing BD (tried the Patriot and Black Hawk Down) Is it the proper selection or should I have changed something? In PS3, the output is thru HDMI using linear PCM.

I got contradicting results from HD-TV feed off my CableTV box. Home games of Istanbul football teams are broadcast in HD as well as Sky's (we get Sky Sports in HD and it is free!!). When I ran thru the AV, the picture was hazier compared to direct feed to TV. But I had not upscaled it yet so I will try that today and compare.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Try flipping between different inputs on the amp and see what that does to the PS3 sound after it has had to re-handshake. I think it will only ever show Multichannel.

I set my upscaler to 1080p for all inputs and I think that it improves the picture

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'd seriously consider upgrading your Bose speakers. The Onkyo SR875 can handle some seriously good speakers, such as the Award-winning Dali Ikon 6 5.1 package, which will make the most of the Onkyo's capabilities.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all replies. Unfortunately neither B&W MT30 nor Dali Ikon 5.1 is available in Turkey. Nevertheless the Dali's are bit beyond my budget.

However, I did came across Quad L-lite's @ 900 GBP. would this be a good deal?

A

Anonymous

they are available at around the £600 if you look on the web. They were £1000 a few months ago. Try superfi.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Balton"]However, I did came across Quad L-lite's @ 900 GBP. would this be a good deal?[/quote]

Yes, they'd work pretty well with the Onkyo.

A

Anonymous

I have the 875 as well, what are the best sub £2000 style speakers I could get?

A

Anonymous

each to their own is what i would say. There are quite a few owners of 875's on this forum and, if i were a betting man, i'd put a great deal of money on the fact that none of us has the same speakers. There are too many considerations. Money, space, personal preference, partner, looks, full size? etc etc etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts