Upgrading to 7.1 but which way to bend....

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So I have decided to go 7.1 and introduce two ceiling speakers behind my setting position. My question is what to upgrade? I want to keep my fronts biamped so I can either add a power amp to my setup or sell the LX83 and buy a 9.2 receiver, say the LX86?

My initial feeling is to go with a power amp as this can also deliver well in stereo, or do I upgrade the receiver?

Any suggestions on what kit to buy....?

My advice was going to be straightforward.....until I read that you want to keep your fronts biamped.... :?

I have no experience with improvements with a power amp, especially with less demanding speakers as yours. My gut feeling would say: go for the LX86. Only a demo can get you out of this. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment:

- Is the effect worth the cost?

- Could the money give you more improvement elsewhere (Sub, better 2 Channel, Rears etc)?

My opinion FWIW, is to leave things as they are until you are ready to change the amp due to new technology.......I know, it's not like me to advise not spending money! :O

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha I wish GSB. A tear rolls down my cheek every time my statement comes through the door :)

On topic - I always feel I'm missing something with dipoles on my sides. As opposed to have speakers radiating behind me. So because I cannot fit cm1's properly for rears (close to walls) I feel 7.1 is the next step.

As to whether that effect would be better... I don't know :?

Cno you are correct the upgrade to LX86 is not justified as its not really needed. So that leaves me with the power amp. Getting a demo is going to be a nightmare, I may need to buy and try at home.

At worst I will return it and have 2 holes in my ceiling. At best I have gained in stereo :)

Now leave my speakers alone before I upgrade them! ;)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
My advice was going to be straightforward.....until I read that you want to keep your fronts biamped.... :?

I have no experience with improvements with a power amp, especially with less demanding speakers as yours. My gut feeling would say: go for the LX86. Only a demo can get you out of this. :)

Just the excuse I needed to demo it ;)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the Pioneer LX83 to bi-amp the fronts meaning that to add rears you must free up the 2 extra channels that are being used for bi-amping?

If so, 1 very good stereo power amp or 2 mono power amps might sound even better than your current bi-amping configuration.

This would also mean that there is less 'strain' on the LX83 as it is only powering 5 speakers (4 rears & 1 centre) instead of effectively 7 speakers (2 rears, 1 centre & 4 fronts). This MIGHT give more headroom/dynamic range during some parts of movies.

You could always add more power amps in the future if you really wanted to bi-amp again.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Are you using the Pioneer LX83 to bi-amp the fronts meaning that to add rears you must free up the 2 extra channels that are being used for bi-amping?

If so, 1 very good stereo power amp or 2 mono power amps might sound even better than your current bi-amping configuration.

This would also mean that there is less 'strain' on the LX83 as it is only powering 5 speakers (4 rears & 1 centre) instead of effectively 7 speakers (2 rears, 1 centre & 4 fronts). This MIGHT give more headroom/dynamic range during some parts of movies.

You could always add more power amps in the future if you really wanted to bi-amp again.

Preceisly that :)

Can you recommend a good stereo amp, perhaps a starting point. No more that £1000. Thanks Fenner.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what power amp to recommend, I’ve not demoed many at that price range for years.

The CM8’s look like good speakers so a good quality, powerful power amp is likely needed for Home Cinema use. It might be worth getting a power amp or amps that can be daisy chained in case you decide to bi-amp. Having said that, with a good enough power amp you probably won’t need to bi-amp.

Someone else with more experience with demoing power amps might be able to suggest some suitable ones.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I would hazard that demo'ing and more demo'ing is in order...you are obviously searching for that certain something,and till you can put ya finger on it keep hold of your hard earned and let the experts detail what you are looking for...trip to Cov? :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts