Upgrading The DAC

Dom

I've got that funny feeling because I'm going to upgrade my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC with a level 3.

Ita called the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC V2 - Level 3 upgrade.

Its also going have to wait until Christmas, so this funny feeling will have to last until then.

*yahoo*

​But here's the rub, its going to cost £699.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have it done, record it the before and after to see the difference.

Just been reading an article on a DAC test, about 7 dacs, its american so in $, most testers were vinyl/tube fans, but the final was against the cheapest and the most expensive, The cheapest was Eastern Electric $750 solid state one the expensive one was Lampizator Level 4 $4,700 tube, the expensive one one but it was close. Actually the Eastern Electric has a tube part, you can switch between SS and tube, they the SS won that heat.

So you may want to consider what sort of sound you want before going down the upgrade path.

Dom

bluedroog said:
Is that good? I've really no idea.

Tell me more, is this an offical thing, third party? Is it supposed to yeild big results?

Its third party by a company called Fidelity Audio. TBH I have no idea the results, they just change and add the innards with better parts.

Low jitter clock, voltage regulator and so on, fairly extensive really.

I would like to believe it would yeild big results. I spoke to them and they said it would sound more analogue.

Dom

BigH said:

Just been reading an article on a DAC test, about 7 dacs, its american so in $, most testers were vinyl/tube fans, but the final was against the cheapest and the most expensive, The cheapest was Eastern Electric $750 solid state one the expensive one was Lampizator Level 4 $4,700 tube, the expensive one one but it was close. Actually the Eastern Electric has a tube part, you can switch between SS and tube, they the SS won that heat.

So you may want to consider what sort of sound you want before going down the upgrade path.

Yes its something that is said again and again on the internet. But DACs is something I have an interest in. Thanks for the tip.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
BigH said:

Yes its something that is said again and again on the internet. But DACs is something I have an interest in. Thanks for the tip.

Well there are other hifi forums, you won't get much information on here about DACs. Musical Fidelity also do upgrades on their DACs. Tubes will probably give you a more analogue sound, some upgrades will give you more clarity.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
When I'm looking for my next dac/headphone amp or phono stage I'm seriously going to look at products from NJC audio,I've heard nothing but good things about all of their stuff and very competitively priced too.

Yes I know someone who has several of their products, says good things about them. They look good and are affordable. For a usb DAC I'm considering a KingRex.

Dom

BigH said:
DomCheetham said:
BigH said:

Well there are other hifi forums, you won't get much information on here about DACs. Musical Fidelity also do upgrades on their DACs. Tubes will probably give you a more analogue sound, some upgrades will give you more clarity.

I don't want a tube DAC. but will look into the Musical Fidelity upgrades, sounds interesting. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts