Upgrading Surround System, what do I actually need?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I have had a 5.1 system for years and am now upgrding it all for HD / Bluray. Im nearly there on the TV front (threads in TV Forum) but am confused about the rest.

I like the idea of an all in one (space) but all bar one (new Samsung) seem to only be DVD players? I want to be able to hear HD audio and for the system to last a while. The current set was all 5 star What Hi Fi best budget stuff so Im fine with that again there or ther abouts (deals available I could go higher)

Questions:

Is there a Bluray player with built in HD surround processing?

Can I buy a decent all in one DVD system and add a Bluray player?

Is the better option to buy a speaker package, Bluray Player and surround amp?

Once I know what I should be looking at, I can focus on which bit of kit to buy....

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd:Questions:

Is there a Bluray player with built in HD surround processing?

Yes, most now have full HD audio decoding built in. Some of the first player lacked certain format decoding (DTS-MA) but if you buy the latest or forthcoming players, you should be fine. There is a website that lists the current crop (www.idoblu.co.uk). If you mean all-in-one bluray system, these are starting to appear on the market, so have a look at the news section. I am not sure if any have been reviewed yet.

Nick_Shepherd:Can I buy a decent all in one DVD system and add a Bluray player?

Yes but remember most lack audio inputs and aren't suited for a multi-source setup so as soon as you want to connect a cable/satellite box or games console, you quickly realise their shortfalls as there is nowhere to connect these devices to! Also as most include a built-in DVD player, this is wasted.

Sony do make a few systems that can accept HDMI audio e.g. HT-IS100, HT-SF1300, HT-SF2300 and HT-SF360 (also see SS variants). All of these do not have built-in players but can accept LPCM audio over HDMI, therefore providing your player has the necessary decoding, you'll hear HD audio. They also have a handful of digital and analogue audio inputs for expansion.

Nick_Shepherd:Is the better option to buy a speaker package, Bluray Player and surround amp?

Simple answer, "YES"! Budget receivers such as the forthcoming Sony ST-DH800, Onkyo TXSR507 and Yamaha RX-V465 cost around £300 and would be a good basis for a budget AV setup. I don't think any of them have been reviewed yet but the next Yamaha model up has (RX-V565) IIRC. The Sony is probably the best spec'd out of the three I mention.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
d4v3pum4:

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I am so late in responding!

The system is for the bedroom so would need it to be quite compact. I'm ok with the size or sky box and dvd currently there. So adding a bluray player is fine but I think i need a quite compact receiver and wireless rear speakers would be great (save the cables and pulling up the new carpet. Are wireless speakers any good or should I just prpare myslef for pulling up the carpet?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts