Upgrading my hifi set... am I on the right track?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my hifi equipment. Right now this is what I'm using:

Sources:

PC with Asus Xonar Essence ST audio card

Sony PlayStation 3

Amplifier:

Yamaha RX-V663 multichannel amplifier (called the DSP-AX763 in the UK)

Speakers:

Monitor Audio RX2

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT880

You'd notice that I'm using a multichannel amp for the Monitor Audio RX2 speakers. I do like the RX2s a lot, and they do sound good with the Yamaha, but I don't really think the amp is doing the speakers justice. So I'm thinking of getting a stereo amplifier for these speakers. While am at it, I want to upgrade my headphones as well. So I was thinking of getting the following combination:

DAC:

Audiolab M-DAC (to replace the DAC functionality of my Yamaha amplifier)

Amplifier:

Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite (to replace my Yamaha amp)

Headphone amplifier:

Beyerdynamic A1 (for my next headphones)

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic T1 (to replace my current Beyerdynamic DT880)

Since the M-DAC doesn't have multiple RCA outputs, I'd have to plug the Beyerdynamic A1 to the PM-KI Pearl Lite. Is this a good idea? How good is the record-out on the PM-KI Pearl Lite?

Am I on the right track? or should I rethink my options?

A

Anonymous

I listen to a wide range of music, mostly hip-hop, but I also listen to rnb, house, rock and even classics like Frank Sinatra.

I prefer a detailed, neutral-to-bright sound with punching bass. Something the Monitor Audio RX2 do well... ^_^

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The MDAC has a headphone output ... is there any reason you need/want a separate headphone amplifier?

The headphones you are after look expensive .. perhaps that is the reason?

A

Anonymous

Simply because the Beyerdynamic T1 sounds best with the A1 amplifier. Not sure, but I doubt the headphone-out on the M-DAC will cut it...

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
if you need double output from a DAC Burson Audio DA-160 may be the answer.

or alternatively HA-160D which mixes functionality of headphone amp, DAC and preamp. just add a power amp of your choice.

check out user reviews if in doubt.

A

Anonymous

The Burson Audio DA-160 looks interesting, but it's not widely available in my country (the Netherlands). Plus, I need something with a remote.

The M-DAC has both unbalanced and balanced outputs. Is it possible to use both simultaneously? Can I connect the balanced outputs to the Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite (which doesn't have balanced inputs)? Should I try this? Or should I look at another DAC/amplifier?

P.S. Happy new year! ^_^

A

Anonymous

Just did some more looking around and I realised that some pre-amplifiers have DAC functions as well. I wonder if it's a good idea for me to go with separates...

Let's take the Marantz AV7005 pre-amplifier and Marantz MM7025 power amp as an example. Would that combo give me a better performance than the aforementioned DAC and integrated amp? Which gives me the best synergy for my RX2 speakers?

Would the Marantz AV7005 work well as a DAC for the headphone amp? Can it passthrough audio taken from digital inputs and output it via a RCA output at fixed level?

A

Anonymous

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I would appreciate any help. Thanks ^_^

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts