Upgrading my digital music

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I'm wondering what would be the best way or what options I've got to increase my digital playback.

Currently I connect an iPhone into my amp by USB A to play Spotify etc. How would I improve the SQ. Upgrade the iPhone to an iPad, or buy a separate DAC or maybe add a Google Chromecast to do some streaming.

Any suggestions.
Thanks.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Certainly any system can only work with the input signal it is given, and while spotify sounds ‘good enough’ for many/most people, if you are looking to improve sounds quality, lossless CD or higher quality files are a solid starting point.

A popular option would be to switch to tidal, which I have done recently and thoroughly enjoying the sound quality of the music there.

You haven’t specified what amp you use. It obviously had a usb input so must have a built in DAC. Maybe you can give some more details there and we can then give specific upgrade advice?

what speakers are you using?

Changing the phone for a pad will make next to no difference, as the DAC is in the amp currently, and Spotify should be sending the same information to the dac irrespective of the device being used to stream it.

😀

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Certainly any system can only work with the input signal it is given, and while spotify sounds ‘good enough’ for many/most people, if you are looking to improve sounds quality, lossless CD or higher quality files are a solid starting point.

A popular option would be to switch to tidal, which I have done recently and thoroughly enjoying the sound quality of the music there.

You haven’t specified what amp you use. It obviously had a usb input so must have a built in DAC. Maybe you can give some more details there and we can then give specific upgrade advice?

what speakers are you using?

Changing the phone for a pad will make next to no difference, as the DAC is in the amp currently, and Spotify should be sending the same information to the dac irrespective of the device being used to stream it.

😀
Hi, the amp is a Quad Vena MK1 and the speakers are Near Motive Sx2. I normally listen to records but I've been using a streaming service and I'm liking the convenience.

Oldfart

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi and agree with Greg vet. I have an iPhone and iPad and no difference. Might I suggest a quick and free way to sample cd quality streaming
download the radio paradise app. In preferences, select ALAC. Enjoy. You can skip songs you don’t like. I have been listening to full MQA Tidal for 18 months and am just starting a Qobuz trial. Radio Paradise quality is very listenable.

Reactions: Gonepostal
D

Deleted member 116933

Changing the iPhone or iPad won’t make much difference and arguably is already the best solution as a streaming source.

if it where me I’d buy good stand alone dac. Tbh most dacs in amps are there as a convenience thing and easy beaten out. An amp is an electrically noisy environment not so good for DA conversations.

Good dacs can be had for as little as 100 quid and offer noticeable improvements.

if you want something that can really up the anti you have chord mojo qutest Hugo. Naims dac v1, RME, denefrips( or however it’s spelt). Worlds your oyster really

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Changing the iPhone or iPad won’t make much difference and arguably is already the best solution as a streaming source.

if it where me I’d buy good stand alone dac. Tbh most dacs in amps are there as a convenience thing and easy beaten out. An amp is an electrically noisy environment not so good for DA conversations.

Good dacs can be had for as little as 100 quid and offer noticeable improvements.

if you want something that can really up the anti you have chord mojo qutest Hugo. Naims dac v1, RME, denefrips( or however it’s spelt). Worlds your oyster really
Can I still connect my phone to the ones you've mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts