Question Upgrading from old Linn system

PaulieBhoy

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

New to the forum and would be extremely grateful for your help/advice please.

I am somewhat of a dinosaur having had the same all Linn system for c20 years. This comprised Karik CD player, Kairn preamp, Klout power amp bi-wired into a pair of Ninka speakers.

Unfortunately the Kairn has packed it in and is beyond repair.

All my music is on CD but would finally like to get into streaming and ripping these CDs.
I hoping for some honest advice on how to move forward. My main concern with my remaining Linn equipment is its age and that the Karik and Klout will end up like the Kairn and it is probably worth cashing in now.
I think it is probably worth keeping the Ninkas but would like a solution that sounds at least as good as the Linn stuff.
I’m not sure whether to go for a one box solution such as the Majik DSM 3 or Naim Uniti Atom, a separate integrated preamp/amp and separate streamer or an all separates solution. I’m quite drawn to Naim as a brand but I’m sure there are plenty of other good options.

I’m probably looking to spend c£2.5k.

Any ideas would be gratefully received and happy to be challenged on all preconceptions.

Many thanks in advance!

Tonestar1

Hi PaulieBhoy,
Welcome to the forum. You have a load of options. Do you currently have a computer and hard drive to rip the CDs' to or do you need this to be part of the solution? If it's mostly common rock/pop type music you may find ripping isn't worth the hassle as it will most likely be available on Qobuz/Tidal or Amazon HD and can be streamed at CD quality already.
Cheers
ps Mon the hoops ;)

D

Deleted member 108165

There is the ex- Linn forum over on The WAM site, lots of owners over there who may be able to assist you in greater detail.

PaulieBhoy

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
Hail Hail Tonestar

Many thanks for reply. Yes I have a PC to rip CDs to but will probably start with the more obscure/harder to come by music (seems Roon is the popular software) and use one of the streamer services for everything else.

I suppose another consideration is what works with the Ninkas or do I get rid of those too?

Hi Doug, thanks for the tip. I’ll seek some advice over there. I’m not wedded to sticking with Lynn in the future, just trying to get to grips with the steep learning curve of modern equipment!

Thanks again!

Tonestar1

Since you already have the ripping side taken care of I'd take a look at the Hegel H120 or the Arcam SA30 if you are looking fro a one box solution. Both will act as Roon endpoints and take care of the amplification. Should be a fun search which ever route you choose to take.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts