Upgrading from Marantz UD7007 .....

MadMark45

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm debating treating myself to a new bit of hardware to upgrade my Marantz UD7007 - which is nearly a couple of years old - but the question is which one to go for? The new Cambridge Audio CXU or Arcam UDP411? Or what I understand is the established king; the Oppo BDP-105D?

Any thoughts much appreciated ....

If you're only going to connect it via HDMI cable, then Oppo 103 / 103D is equally good as 105 / 105D. 105D is only better if you're going to use its analogue outs instead of HDMI.

This is what Oppo says:

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=37

I notice you have a 4K TV. Why don't you wait until next year and buy a 4K blu ray player?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
MadMark45 said:
Hi all,

I'm debating treating myself to a new bit of hardware to upgrade my Marantz UD7007 - which is nearly a couple of years old - but the question is which one to go for? The new Cambridge Audio CXU or Arcam UDP411? Or what I understand is the established king; the Oppo BDP-105D?

Any thoughts much appreciated ....

for bluray playback, there is no point what so ever. You have a flagship player already. I would only upgrade when 4K BD comes out, and then it will be a while for the titles to be released.

MadMark45

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I upgrade everything every few years, especially the TV's, but the last few Blu-Ray players have been better and better (Denon BDP-1800 to 3800 to 4310 and then to the Marantz). So maybe I'm hoping for an even better picture and maybe slightly more "musical" as I keep reading in the reviews ..... :(

I hadn't picked up on the Oppos non HDMI connection requirements to realise the improvements and whilst I know the 4K players are only months away - the best machines are unlikely to the the first out of the gates - they never are. So I have 12-18 months to wait, realistically, for a hot shot, high end 4k player ....

In what way have blu ray players been better? The reviewers on AV forums are professional TV calibrators as well, and if you check their every blu ray player review, they say something like this example:

There's is often a lot of confusion when it comes to Blu-ray players, with consumers thinking that if they buy a more expensive player they will somehow get an improvement in picture quality. However, as long as the player isn't doing anything it shouldn't, then any Blu-ray player will look identical to any other Blu-ray player over HDMI. The CXU was flawless with 1080p/24 Blu-rays, which is exactly what we would expect, with the player outputting exactly what's on the disc.

https://www.avforums.com/review/cambridge-audio-cxu-blu-ray-player-review.11840

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't believe all blu ray players are created equal

One I wish I had bought was either the Audiocom 103 signature or 105 signature if you need the analogue output section.

I don't so a 103 signature would be my choice currently but I don't know if it's wise to buy one with 4k around the corner.

I think wait until there is a modded audiocom 4k player.

If nothing else all blu ray player stock will get a lot lot cheaper

TRENDING THREADS