upgrading for the 1st time in 10 yrs...starting with the CD player..........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all, new forum member here about to start upgrading after 10 - 12 yrs of enjoying my existing hifi.

I have Arcam Alpha 7r and 8p amps / bi-amped Mordaunt Short 25i pearl floor standing speakers and a 13yr old Technics CD play SLPG570a.

I want to upgrade all my components with the view to the get a more detailed separated natural sound with the biggest sound stage possible. I am going to upgrade one component at a time (as funds become available over the next 12 – 18 months) starting with the CD player.

I want something that will sound ok with my existing amps as they will be last to change, but with the view on the long term goal. I have read about the new Naim CD5i[/i] and the Rega Apollo. Max budget is a £1K though I’d like to spend less if possible.

My main question is will the average listener (me!) hear the difference between my old Technics player and a new Naim or Rega. Will the difference be worth the money? The last thing I want to do is waste my time auditioning to find I cannot tell the difference!

I am feeling excited about buying new kit but also daunted buy the task and the potential to buy the wrong stuff.

Hopefully some kind souls here will offer unbiased advice, I am never 100% sure what the sales people tell me is correct.

A

Anonymous

There is only one way to find out if you prefer newer players and that is to do a direct comparison, either borrow a player and do it at home (definitely better) or take your player along to the shop. Don't worry about what the sales people tell you, it's your ears. My favourite hifi shop only really offer that advice to people - i.e. it's your ears, you make the choice.... I would recommend having a listen to the Creek Classic CD Player by the way. Happy hunting, Alex.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree. Do as BigGuads suggests and find a good dealer. There's plenty of choice. The Saturn is very detailed but imo a bit lifeless sounding compared to say a cyrus8cdx which should be available at very good prices soon as its due for replacement and makes an excellent match with the 8vs2. Upgrade the speakers last. They're pretty good even by todays standards.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for both the replies, Creek is a brand that I would not have considered will have a look in detail, interesting to read the opinion that my MS25i's are "ok" by todays standards. Having said that my hifi friend has said they do sound good (coming from the man owning Martin Logans, It's all relitve!)) perhaps the amps second then. Unfortunately (due to a full size turntable, tuner on the rack) the cyrus kit will never be approved by the Mrs due to size and looks, have already been down this road.

Also when I said Saturn I meant the new £600 Apollo

I guess I need to do some auditioning, great idea about taking my old cd player with me, the thought never crossed my mind.

A

Anonymous

if you went for a cyrus 8 cd player and cyrus 8 amp, together side by side they are the same size as a normal piece of kit so should look fine with your tuner and turntable. Other option is to tell the missus to pipe down

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts