Upgrading current entry level bookshelves

AyyMacarena

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I have a nice Cambridge Audio S30 paired with a CA Topaz AM5 setup. I've been extremely pleased with it, however after listening to some Kef C10's (the ones from 1985), I am looking for something that can produce a bit more bass compared to my S30's.

After research, I've found the Kef's use ~16cm bass driver which may be the reason they sound a little more warm compared to my S30s with their 11.5cm drivers. I listen to more bass-heavy music, a.k.a. EDM.

What speakers under £400 would be a good choice? After reading other forums, an upgrade of an amp won't make much difference.

I've seen the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's won a Best Buy this year for the price-point, are these a good option? They also use a larger bass driver than my S30's.

Cheers

AyyMacarena

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes, however I just felt that the Kef's sounded more warm, and on the amp they were running off, there was no bass increase, while I have mine with the bass dial turned up just a little, they still don't seem as warm.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity was it your amp you heard the kefs on.

Bass quality can often be affected by a fair few factors the cone size not as critical - more is not always better.

Proximity to walls and free space can be an eye opener aswell as your amp.

But that said maybe a few auditions, if possible with your own amp is in order - the baby Dali 1 or 3 are the current in vogue choice.

Give Richersounds a visit.....good luck.

AyyMacarena said:
Hi,

Currently I have a nice Cambridge Audio S30 paired with a CA Topaz AM5 setup. I've been extremely pleased with it, however after listening to some Kef C10's (the ones from 1985), I am looking for something that can produce a bit more bass compared to my S30's.

After research, I've found the Kef's use ~16cm bass driver which may be the reason they sound a little more warm compared to my S30s with their 11.5cm drivers. I listen to more bass-heavy music, a.k.a. EDM.

What speakers under £400 would be a good choice? After reading other forums, an upgrade of an amp won't make much difference.

I've seen the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's won a Best Buy this year for the price-point, are these a good option? They also use a larger bass driver than my S30's.

Cheers

You have two main problems: First, the Topaz range isn't as good as the Azur range of amps. Second, as the previous poster says, experiment with speaker positioning, toe-in toe-out. If you don't have dedicated stands blag a pair from a local dealer.

Above all else, you need to test your theory that the speakers aren't up to much, so a dem is essential.

Speakers to look at: Wharfedale Diamond range; Dali Zenor; Q Acoustics 2020i...

AyyMacarena

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies. No, I don't think there's an easy way to audition the kefs with my amp, unfortunately.

The kefs run off some JVC unit, I searched the model but nothing comes up. I thought JVC wouldn't make great amps but I need to remember it's 30 years old so things may have changed.

I'll keep trying to move mine around, they're currently on a desk so perhaps some wedges may be a good idea?

Cheers.

AyyMacarena said:
Hi, thanks for the replies. No, I don't think there's an easy way to audition the kefs with my amp, unfortunately.

The kefs run off some JVC unit, I searched the model but nothing comes up. I thought JVC wouldn't make great amps but I need to remember it's 30 years old so things may have changed.

I'll keep trying to move mine around, they're currently on a desk so perhaps some wedges may be a good idea?

Cheers.

Ah, right. Try and get them off the desk. If you don't have room for stands then wall brackets are the other option.

Many moons ago I used to own a JVC receiver and they sounded very smooth. This probably explains why the Kefs sounded good - the amp took off any rough edges to the sound.

Before even thinking about different speakers or amp you need to address the speaker siting. Pretty sure you'll hear a audible difference either on stands or with brackets. leaving speakers on desks or sideboards are a no no.

matthewpiano

Your S30/AM5 combination is a 'get started' set-up. Fine for making the first steps into better music production, but both speakers and amp fall short when you start to demand more. You could also do with paying attention to your speaker positioning, as PP helpfully suggests.

There is more than one way to tackle this. You could upgrade the speakers as you suggest. Something like Dali Zensor 3s or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 would give you an improvement in bass performance, as well as more detail across the frequency range. However, the AM5 is a very basic amp and it will be shown up by the new speakers. With that amp, you won't get anything like the best out of upgraded speakers. You don't need to spend a huge amount to make a substantial improvement on the AM5. Sticking with Cambridge, the Azur 350A is significantly more capable than the AM5. Looking at other brands, the Denon PMA720ae is available for very good prices (around £170 mostly), or you could go slightly further to a NAD C316BEE or Onkyo A-9010(UK).

The other option would be to look at actives. KRK actives could well suit your musical tastes, and you could also look at Yamaha's models. Again, either would give you a very worthwhile improvement on your current set-up, although the actives aren't as home friendly in appearance and this might be a consideration for you.

Don't ignore speaker positioning, whichever way you go with new purchases. You can spend huge amounts on speakers but still have them sound terrible if they aren't positioned and supported properly.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I would say your amp is the weak link for you currently. Cambridge Audio entry level amps are fine as a starter but lack in most areas. Great advice from Matthewpiano on the Denon, I would add Marantz PM6005 into the mix, very nice amp that works well with S30's which are actually pretty decent speakers. MA BX2's however would be a significant upgrade and can be had for next to nothing now they've been replaced.

AyyMacarena

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, my suspision was that my kit - although seriously impressive for the money - is a first-time stereo setup.

Are there any significant reasons to get Bronze 2's over the previous gen BX2's? I also see that the Onky 9010 is currently the 2015 Best Buy amp for under 200.

I'll try positioning the speakers and whatnot, but like I guessed, I think an upgrade may be a good bet.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts