Upgrading Broadband, what a palavah!

Just decided to upgrade my old copper line broadband to full fibre. What a joke, or rather not.
Had to take a day off work to allow Openreach engineer in and then tear out my old system.
Promised speeds were never anywhere near quoted so called up support.
After many speed tests it appears there is no acknowledged standard speed test for broadband.
What a surprise. You cannot assuredly confirm you are not getting below minimum guaranteed speeds.
Ho hum!
Eventually proved I was getting nothing like promised and had monthly bill reduced by £12.
It's something I guess but would be nice if providers could actually produce what they promise in the first instance.....
Moan over!

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Messiah

I've worked within broadband faults for the last 15 years and there are certain processes to follow to deal with slow speed issues.

You definitely can confirm if you are getting slow speeds and if I was not out and about on my phone I would be able to go into more details.

One thing we were always told is that FTTP will see the end of slow speed issues (not quite the case but there are a number of factors at play, anyhow...). We were also told that FTTP WILL deliver the quoted line speed. End of. If not, you could have been put on the wrong package (so effectively your speed is being capped) or there is a fault.

What does the following quote for your address (ignore it says ADSL):

You can also run speed tests on the following site. There are notes on there about FTTP but the key thing is ideally it needs to be from a laptop/PC and must be a wired connection.

Reactions: DougK1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
FTTP 900 here. My Ethernet computing days are over. It’s all tablet and phones over wifi, but even that Speedtests at around 750 meg, so happy with that.

But for anyone currently w BT - unless you’re desperately unhappy with your plan(s) - do NOT under any circumstances subject yourself to porting everything over to EE, which BT wants to be their consumer brand.

I let it happen with Fibre, TV, and phones.

I wish I hadn’t.

FTTP 900 here. My Ethernet computing days are over. It’s all tablet and phones over wifi, but even that Speedtests at around 750 meg, so happy with that.

But for anyone currently w BT - unless you’re desperately unhappy with your plan(s) - do NOT under any circumstances subject yourself to porting everything over to EE, which BT wants to be their consumer brand.

I let it happen with Fibre, TV, and phones.

I wish I hadn’t.
Congratulations, that is what I was initially signed up to.
However, nothing like your minimum speed was ever obtained.
I said there is no current universally means using any particular website as a speed check.
I completely disregard your comments regarding porting to anyone else.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I’d hoped that sharing my experience with the BT>EE transition might be useful, but whatever…

Originally BB was defined and differentiated from dial up simply by its “always on” status. When I had BT’s original “BB” product installed it was £50pm for 512kbps (IIRC), abt 0.5meg in today’s money.

A stab at some definitions is here:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts