Upgrading amplifier for HDMI support

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys

I currently have what I consider to be a good cinema amp Denon AVR 1906 which I purchased a few years ago. However recently have started, like most others, buying HDMI equipment. I've noticed a lot of the new amps now have HDMI inputs.

Is it worth upgrading to one which supports this, what do I lose by not having this native support?

Cheers

Matt

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
An AV amplifier with HDMI support offers a couple of key features. Firstly, HDMI-switching functionality, which allows you to plug all your HDMI-enabled equipment in to the amp and then run one single HDMI cable to your screen or projector. Then you can simply flick between sources using your AV amp.

Secondly, once you take the plunge in to the world of HD, an HDMI connection will allow you to send HD audio as well as pictures to your receiver giving you access to the very latest, superior sound formats. Though, it's important to remember your AV amp needs to have the required on-board decoding to be able to do this, as well as an HDMI 1.3 specified input.

The Onkyo TX-SR605 was one of the first to be able to do all of this, and remains a stunningly efficient AV receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts