Question Upgrading amp and speakers after 25 years...

CheapVinyl

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
Evening all; having recently having a car boot acquired Lenco GL75 refurbished to replace my first gen Project Debut, I'm thinking it's probably time to replace my Arcam Alpha 5 and Eltac floorstanders (a distress purchase when the Missions I bought with the Arcam failed 15 years ago).
I've been happy with the sound but realise the GL75 warrants better support. Where do I start though; at the level of the current Arcam base amp ( SA10 at around £700) or will cheaper amps provide a better sound than my Alpha 5 after 25 years of development?
Not looking for a specific recommendation but interested to hear your views as to what price point I need to start at.
Will be looking to replace amp and speakers at the same time, and then look to replace my Sony CDP XE330 later.
I realise that budget is everything and I'll go to around £1200+ if that's where I need to start, but if I can look at a lower price point I can buy more music!
Welcome your thoughts/experiences.

Tinman1952

Personally I would split your budget equally between speakers and amp. Find a pair of speakers that suit your room, musical taste and have an acceptable appearance…. then choose an amp which will drive those speakers properly. That’s with sufficient power and current. You really need to listen to a few different options if possible…our hearing is so subjective. Good luck!

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
The seller is now accepting offers :).

Someone could get a (very) good deal there (if the amp is in good condition).

Again, I have nothing to do with the ad.

Add a pair of Quad S2 or 3's and you have a lovely system for another decade or two.

Last edited:

CheapVinyl

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
Nor me; bit reluctant to commit that spend sight (and sound) unseen. Probably missed a bargain though.

Thanks for the responses. As Tinman1952 pointed out, I need to listen before I buy, more of a challenge these days than 25 years ago as everything is bought online rather than bricks and mortar. I'll think on...

Reactions: Tinman1952

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You will get a very decent amplifier at around £600, even if buying new. That will be an upgrade on your old Arcam. Spend the same or more on speakers.

Spend less and although still likely an upgrade the differences may not be quite as obvious.

A system change will also take a little getting used to after 25 years so I would advise caution in forming too quick an opinion.

Obviously you are limiting yourself if buying new but you can listen first and try combinations. Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds are good places with the later offering a particularly good, award winning extended warranty if required. Having the option of trying something at home for a couple of weeks first is also valuable.

Don't dismiss places like Pinkfish's classifieds. Mostly genuine sellers/forum members which will likely let you listen first if you are close enough. Not as convenient as a Dealership and no warranties are the downsides.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic penguin
Evening all; having recently having a car boot acquired Lenco GL75 refurbished to replace my first gen Project Debut, I'm thinking it's probably time to replace my Arcam Alpha 5 and Eltac floorstanders (a distress purchase when the Missions I bought with the Arcam failed 15 years ago).
I've been happy with the sound but realise the GL75 warrants better support. Where do I start though; at the level of the current Arcam base amp ( SA10 at around £700) or will cheaper amps provide a better sound than my Alpha 5 after 25 years of development?
Not looking for a specific recommendation but interested to hear your views as to what price point I need to start at.
Will be looking to replace amp and speakers at the same time, and then look to replace my Sony CDP XE330 later.
I realise that budget is everything and I'll go to around £1200+ if that's where I need to start, but if I can look at a lower price point I can buy more music!
Welcome your thoughts/experiences.
There are too many to chose from. Obviously you like Arcam so SA20 should be a goer.

There are many others such as Marantz, Roksan K2, Leema Pulse (1st gen), Arcam A39, Creek Evo 50... the latter you'll have to factor in a phono stage.

Speakers will depend on your choice of amp: Arcam look at Monitor Audio Silvers, Focal, 2nd hand PMC 'i' range.... are good places to start.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts