Upgrades for Mission 751s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Upgrading my speakers, Mission 751s bi-amped with Cyrus's. Sounds crazy but these are tremendous little speakers.

Listened to B&W CM9's at the weekend and was not impressed at all, when driven by x-powers on classical music. OK on rock though.

Have tried ATC SCM40's and thought they were great but not very nice looking. Open to either floor-standing or stand-mounts.

What else should I listen too. Budget is upto £3k but would be happier spending £2k. The old 751 really were great as you have to spend a serious amount to get better it seems.

Alta

T

the record spot

If you can find a pair, the Audiosmile Kensai might be worth shortlisting. Were £1500, but that's gone up to nearer the £2k mark. By all accounts an excellent little speaker. Another hifi title really rates it.

Altacaster:
Upgrading my speakers, Mission 751s bi-amped with Cyrus's. Sounds crazy but these are tremendous little speakers.

Listened to B&W CM9's at the weekend and was not impressed at all, when driven by x-powers on classical music. OK on rock though.

Have tried ATC SCM40's and thought they were great but not very nice looking. Open to either floor-standing or stand-mounts.

What else should I listen too. Budget is upto £3k but would be happier spending £2k. The old 751 really were great as you have to spend a serious amount to get better it seems.

Alta

Hi Altacaster

Not as good sounding as the SCM40's and nothing home to write about in the looks department however for standmount speakers ATC's SCM19 are also worth considering.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Do try the SCM19's as we feel they're a more accessible speaker for many people - the 19's (as well as the 11's) seem to have a more listenable sound to them, more enjoyable, especially across varying types of music.

You can also look at the ProAc Response D2's, and maybe even the Monitor Audio Platinum PL200's for standmounts. For floorstanders, try the ProAc D18's, PMC FB1i's, and Spendor A6's.

Which Cyrus amplifiers are you using? Depending on what you have, you could look around for some ex demo KEF Reference 201/2's. We find they go extremely well with Cyrus.

A

Anonymous

Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Have so far liked Wilson Benesch Arcs, ATC SCM 40s and PMC FB1is. Good sound but no real improvement ProAc D18s. Did not like the sound of Dynaudios the Spendor A6s and some very expensive KEF standmounts, floppy boomy bass sound in some instances or too bright in the case of the KEFs (personal tase of course). B&W CM9s really didn't make the cut at all, set my teth on edge akin to opera with a hangover!

Looking like a W B or PMC decision. W B have it on aesthetics, ATCs on sound. Needs careful thought as I'll keep them for a long time.

Alta

Altacaster:
Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Have so far liked Wilson Benesch Arcs, ATC SCM 40s and PMC FB1is. Good sound but no real improvement ProAc D18s. Did not like the sound of Dynaudios the Spendor A6s and some very expensive KEF standmounts, floppy boomy bass sound in some instances or too bright in the case of the KEFs (personal tase of course). B&W CM9s really didn't make the cut at all, set my teth on edge akin to opera with a hangover!

Looking like a W B or PMC decision. W B have it on aesthetics, ATCs on sound. Needs careful thought as I'll keep them for a long time.

Alta

Hi Altacaster

Your welcome.

Which ever speakers you choose i hope you enjoy their performance for many years to come.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi

Harbeth SHL5 are incredible. I sold my Art Emotions that cost £5000 after hearing the harbeths in my system

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts