Upgrades Cambridge audio 540p to a Cambridge audio 640p

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

What do you think of these upgrades.

Is it worth upgrading from a Cambridge audio 540p to a 640p.

I have heard the Chord Cadenza interconnect and plan to buy one. It totally out classed the cobra plus in every way.

I also plan on getting a Chord mains cable for my amp.

I also plan on getting a figure of 8 mains cable for the CDP.

Also what would be a good upgrade cartridge for my debut 3 (£50 at most).

Best regards.

Gtncj.

matthewpiano

I personally don't think the 640p phono stage would be a worthwhile upgrade over the 540p and think you should aim higher if you want to upgrade your phono stage. Look at offerings from Creek and Musical Fidelity but if you go too far you might need to upgrade the turntable as well.

A

Anonymous

Hi Plastic penguin

No I am not talking cdp's I am talking about phono stages.

Thanks.

Gtncj.

T

the record spot

Gtncj said:
Hi all

What do you think of these upgrades.

Is it worth upgrading from a Cambridge audio 540p to a 640p.

Sideways move I think. Does the 640 give you the means to accept a moving coil cartridge while the 540 is MM only and there's no other difference? If you're talking about a Project Debut, then stick with the 540; you wouldn't typically use a MC cartridge with that t/t.

Gtncj said:
I have heard the Chord Cadenza interconnect and plan to buy one. It totally out classed the cobra plus in every way.

If your level of components are at the CA 540p and Project Debut level, then, with all respect under the sun, this cable is excessive. Spend the money on a worthwhile component upgrade and adjust your sound quality that way. QED Qunex 3 will do you absolutely fine for a fifth of the price. I've used this interconnect amongst a dozen others up to £200+ and it's absolutely capable (and I've just noticed you've already got the 2 anyway). You don't need to spend the money you're talking about. Unless you want to obviously!

Gtncj said:
I also plan on getting a Chord mains cable for my amp.

Fine, but my answer would remain the same in as much as you'd be just as well off sticking with the mains supplied.

Gtncj said:
I also plan on getting a figure of 8 mains cable for the CDP.

Same again...

Gtncj said:
Also what would be a good upgrade cartridge for my debut 3 (£50 at most).

Audio Technica AE-120, Glanz MFG11T, Goldring Elektra...they'll get you going.

If you saved the money you're hinting at spending on cables, you'd end up with a bloody decent upgrade instead of several sideways steps that won't make anything like the difference you could achieve. You could get a Rega P2, or a good condition secondhand P3 either of which would leave you're Debut in the shade, good though it is. Your call though, but my experience with cables (in the setup in my signature line below) tells me the biggest changes come via core components and not connecting wires.

matthewpiano

Got to agree with RS. Upgrading the turntable wouldn't cost that much if you buy carefully and it will pay much bigger dividends. The Rega decks are plentiful 2nd hand and very hard to beat. Also worth seeking out decks like the Manticore Mantra, various Systemdeks, the Thorens TD150 and TD160 decks etc. Even a relatively cheap used Dual CS-505 would leave the Pro-ject standing.

These Pro-ject decks are fine - I've got a Debut III and a Genie 3 (and find the Genie better than the Debut) - but they can easily be improved upon. I'm hoping to get something better fairly soon myself and I use the same phono stage as you.

A

Anonymous

Thank Gents

Your replys are most welcome and will listern to the advice given.

The Cadenza cable would of been for my Nad 545 when I get it back but will check out the quinex 3 interconnect.

I have only recently got my debut 3 and don't think I could justify replacing it as my vinly collection is limited, So that means I will stick with the CA 540p phono stage.

Thanks for your Knowledge.

Gtncj.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts