Upgrades all-round needed, where do I start??? :o)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I am an avid reader of your magazine and feel tempted monthly by all this great new kit that keeps coming out. However my system is to be honest, slightly embarrasing and below par, most of it 4 years old or more and when I bought it, it was all I could afford bit by bit to make up a system that gives me 5.1 surround and some volume to my setup.

You may have to dig around in your archives to find the details on some of this kit but here my system as follows:

TV - Sharp 32 LCP50E (not even sure if it's hd ready but has 1 HDMI port and says 720p or 1080i onscreen when I watch bluray)

AV Receiver - Sony STR-DE597

Front R/L Floor Stander - Acoustic Solutions M100's says 4ohms 80 watts

Centre - Sony (Unknown model, small silver figure 8 shape almost)

Rear Sur - Mission 77DS (I think) says 8ohms and 75 watts - 2 way reflex

Sub - Tannoy System FX 5.1 silver - powered sub (massive heavy thing)

PS3 using HDMI and optical to amp also Sky + box going to amp using optical when needed I have to switch from PS3 as there's only 1 optical in.

Also have Philips Wireless Tv Link SBC-VL1400 which onlu has scart pass-throughs.

Regarding cables I don't know what they are, but they were £4 p/m from Richer sounds, flat cables to all speakers, HDMI is standard ps3 official one.

So really I don't have a set budget as again It will probably take me 6 months to upgrade most the kit, however I am not taking high-end here, more along the lines of £400 amp maybe £800 TV etc. but I really want to achieve Full HD picture, HD audio and probably will go to Sky HD too. Is there any sender boxes that will work with HDMI going thorugh to so I can get my tv in bedroom as and when I want?

I have a large rectangular room (3.5M x 7M) that is divided into seating and dining areas, the TV and kit etc. is facing inwards from the centre on a glass TV stand.

What is the biggest let down in this set up and what would be the first upgrade that I would see most difference by adding? I then need to work from there using your fantastic reviews I am sure I can pick the right kit to move on with, oh and I'd like to get Audio on the agenda at some point to by adding nice CDplayer.

I know this setup has probably made you scratch your heads asking 'WHY' but it's been good to me, times move on and so do my aspirations for nice kit, any help and your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Mr. Wardle
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi

I would imagine you would see a better improvement by starting on your sound system. Your speakers are a bit of a mish mash and your centre speaker sounds proper nasty so I would start there. Get a set from the same range and that should balance the sound a bit until you get the cash for the other bits. If you can get some to match your AS M100s it may save you a bit of cash (I would start again though). Then I'd move onto the amp. Your telly is hd ready if it's got hdmi so i'd leave that til later on.

TRENDING THREADS