Upgrade - where to start?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, please look at my signature, can someone please point me where, if you we're me, would you start to upgrade, speakers to stay for now, both HT and stereo, in fact, unless i move house or have some major revamp of room, HT speakers to stay - API - the wife!!! Budget? - about £750 by end of year. Or should i wait till mid 2010 for greater budget?
Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Straight out change your hifi speaker cable now!

Depends upon your tastes but almost anything will beat QED Silver - unless of course you like the brittle forward presentation that is! If you don't change it now for something more neutral you'll never hear what the rest of your system actually sounds like - which makes any additional expenditure both risky and kind of pointless.

Probably not what you were expecting but its a start. Anyway, before you spend any money on kit - what is it you're looking for - more dynamics, detail, bass response, vocal clarity? Having an aim in mind helps focus your investment and reduce disappointment.

A

Anonymous

Well second hand is always best as cables don't exactly deteriorate, but they do depreciate from new prices! Also if you don't like it or want to upgrade then you can move it on without loss.

As for specific recommendations I only propose cables I've actually heard - I'm a fan of Kimber cables and you can get 4TC or 8TC (even better) for decent prices. Townshend DCT Isolda is pretty awesome. Both are very neutral and revealling.

I tend not to recommend Chord as I find these quite bright (nowhere near as QED Silver Anni) and although I like (and have Nordost) it is relatively expensive and at lower price bands can be bettered by the cables noted above.

Just depends what your budget is really. I've got some spares if you're interested - look me up on Cyrusunofficial.co.uk forum (alias Crimsondonkey)

A

Anonymous

Thanks - will do.
I never auditioned cables with my kit, just went for WHSAV 5* ratings.
Never heard anything else with my current set up.
You live and learn, as they say.
Which cables would you recommend I change stereo, HT, or both?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts