Question Upgrade Thoughts

TimWard

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
I have the following system:
Rotel RA03
Arcam CD192 (it was repaired a while back & was effectively upgraded)
Arcam DT91 Tuner
B&W 603 floor standers

I’ve been streaming Spotify through Sonos to this system but put a CD on today and forgot just how good proper input sounded.

I was wondering where to go with the set up.
1. Add a turntable, probably a Rega planar
2. Add a streamer - no idea if that’s a good plan
3. Add some sort of hard disk source to rip CDs to / download flac files onto
4. UG my Rotel - it was the compromise when I bought the set up

Be interested in any views.

Do you own any vinyl?
What is the main media you listen to?
Do you actually use that Tuner?
Too many options and not enough information. Most upgrades are either source of speakers otherwise it's just adding kit.

Welcome to the forum by the way....

TimWard

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Do you own any vinyl?
What is the main media you listen to?
Do you actually use that Tuner?
Too many options and not enough information. Most upgrades are either source of speakers otherwise it's just adding kit.

Welcome to the forum by the way....

Thanks for the welcome. I know it was a broad question, haven’t thought about it in ages so was after a variety of views. Apologies for being too vague. Some more info:

Yes I use the tuner, but no need to upgrade it.

I have some vinyl but not much, haven’t listened to it in years but always thought I would like to. If I went down the turntable route then vinyl likely to become an obsession so have avoided it to date.

Most of my music is on CD, I would listen to it more if I digitised it.

I’ve become lazy and stream most stuff from Spotify, but have reminded myself how much better CD sounds so wondered if it was the steaming source or quality of Spotify.

I’m not much of a classical buff, apart from that I have a wide range of likes from Miles Davies through Kraftwek, Johnny Cash, Queen, to Faithless, Royksopp & The Chemical Brothers. Vocal and dynamics more important than bass.

I’d get most use out of a good streaming source / hard disk for digital music.

gasolin

Mabye tidal or Qobuz and a good dac.

Relative to what i have and sensitivity, you shouldn't need more power (a little extra won't hurt).

More power will get you more power for the bass, which require much more than anything else to sound at it's best, it can give you more control and a different sound

Relative to what i have and sensitivity, you shouldn't need more power (a little extra won't hurt).

More power will get you more power for the bass, which require much more than anything else to sound at it's best, it can give you more control and a different sound
The only thing that will give more bass is different speakers. More defined bass is a different matter.
I am not sure whether source material is a function here as never use Spotify

I have the following system:
Rotel RA03
Arcam CD192 (it was repaired a while back & was effectively upgraded)
Arcam DT91 Tuner
B&W 603 floor standers

I’ve been streaming Spotify through Sonos to this system but put a CD on today and forgot just how good proper input sounded.

I was wondering where to go with the set up.
1. Add a turntable, probably a Rega planar
2. Add a streamer - no idea if that’s a good plan
3. Add some sort of hard disk source to rip CDs to / download flac files onto
4. UG my Rotel - it was the compromise when I bought the set up

Be interested in any views.
Hiya Tim

After reading your initial post, I'm not too sure of your objective. Are you looking for a upgrade of your system as a whole or looking for additions to compliment the rest of your set-up? If it's the former what you do think it lacks in SQ?

Your kit seems well balanced. What is the CD192 upgraded to? the reason why I ask is because Arcam back in the day offered upgrades to the DIVA range. So if you had the CD73, you could upgrade it for about £300 IIRC to the CD82 or to the CD192.

Personally love vinyl but if you're only an occasional listener, vinyl isn't cost effective compared to digital formats. I would look at sources you use the most, as in a better CDP

The Rotel RA03 is the most flexible amps from the Rotel range I've heard, so could benefit from better speakers, although not sure how much of an improvement you'll get.

The Rotel 03 can be bettered, if you like the brand the obvious upgrade would be to a Rotel 15 range. Either the speakers or the amp (or both) may well give you the uplift you're looking for. It will also depend, to degree, on what is the CDP's internals.

My philosophy, though, has always been "if it isn't broke..."

TimWard

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Hiya Tim

After reading your initial post, I'm not too sure of your objective. Are you looking for a upgrade of your system as a whole or looking for additions to compliment the rest of your set-up? If it's the former what you do think it lacks in SQ?

Your kit seems well balanced. What is the CD192 upgraded to? the reason why I ask is because Arcam back in the day offered upgrades to the DIVA range. So if you had the CD73, you could upgrade it for about £300 IIRC to the CD82 or to the CD192.

Personally love vinyl but if you're only an occasional listener, vinyl isn't cost effective compared to digital formats. I would look at sources you use the most, as in a better CDP

The Rotel RA03 is the most flexible amps from the Rotel range I've heard, so could benefit from better speakers, although not sure how much of an improvement you'll get.

The Rotel 03 can be bettered, if you like the brand the obvious upgrade would be to a Rotel 15 range. Either the speakers or the amp (or both) may well give you the uplift you're looking for. It will also depend, to degree, on what is the CDP's internals.

Tidal definitely helping - thanks

TimWard

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Hiya Tim

Thanks
To be honest I wasn’t sure if my objective either.
Chatting has helped.
1 think I want 2 things:
1. A network player so that I can convert my CD collection to flac or some such, and play it more easily
2. A better source for streaming. Currently I have a sonos connect. Great for multi room but not so great sitting and listening through my better kit.

of the two my priority is the streaming source.

how best to achieve that? Dac or streaming unit? If dac how does this work?

gasolin

Try bluesound it has digital in or a streamer with a dac like the YAMAHA WX-C50

rasberry pie for streaming server ?

Power try something around 2x150 watt in 8 ohm, just a power amp you don't need to buy a new integrated amp

Thanks
To be honest I wasn’t sure if my objective either.
Chatting has helped.
1 think I want 2 things:
1. A network player so that I can convert my CD collection to flac or some such, and play it more easily
2. A better source for streaming. Currently I have a sonos connect. Great for multi room but not so great sitting and listening through my better kit.

of the two my priority is the streaming source.

how best to achieve that? Dac or streaming unit? If dac how does this work?

Great. Pleased you've identified the area you require.

If you are going to look at a turntable in the future I wouldn't buy anything other than a budget Rega or Pro-ject.

I did the same when my Arcam CDP died. Because CDs aren't my first choice for playback I decided to buy cheapo Exposure CDP. Have to say it's fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts