Upgrade thoughts please

TannyToft

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I have been a regular but sporadic reader of Whathifi for decades and have always appreciated the advice. I am slowly upgrading my aging system and would like to hear view as to what you would focus on. I can only do things in stages one bit at a time! My current system is a Rega RP3 TT, Elys 2 cartidge and Rega external PSU, Marantz CD63 KI signature MkII CD palyer, Marantz PM66 Ki signature amp, Arcam DrDock, Neat Motive 3 speakers,connected with QED silver anniversary biwire cable and mounted on isokinetc stands on marble. CD is connected to the amp with Chord cobra VEE3 and DrDock by Cambridge Studio Reference interconnects. As to listening, this is in our main room with sofas, chairs and other crap probably about 8 and 6m. We listen mainly to jazz, folk and classical. I am very used to the Marantz warm sound and would like to go down that route but obviously improve. So some questions- would I be best in buying a external phone stage (e.g. Rega or Graham Slee) or putting my £200 towards a Marantz pearl lite amp, which has the same phono stage as amps more expensive in the range? Is the Pearl lite significantly better the the PM66 KI? Would an extrernal DAC for the CD improve things, I was thinking the irDAC or rDAC from Arcam, or would this make the sound more clinical? How much improved would the Pearl Lite CD be as compared with the CD63 KI sig? I am not looking to chage the Neats any time soon as I have just got them and have be incredibly impressed with them. Anyway thanks for any thoughts!

Hi TannyToft welcome to the forum.
I will try to answer some of your questions but bear in mind these are personal opinions and I'd urge you to audition what you can before purchasing.
Regards Pearl K lite amp, I would say it is a significant improvement on the old PM66, and so is it's phono stage. So as for your question on the seperate phono preamp I would say no, put your money towards the Amp.
External DAC probably not going to improve things significantly though will help if you intend to add more digital peripherals at a later date. If you get Pearl Lite CDR you have ability to attach ipod etc to that.
Ultimately there are better amps but if you want to stick with Marantz then go for the Pearl Lite pairing and then see if you find anything lacking in the sound department, do not waste money on possibly unnecessary extra boxes at the moment.

TannyToft

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Alears for the useful advice, I am not tied to Marantz but it is what I know and I could probably afford the amp soon! They have been discounted now so maybe will sell out before I save my pennies. I might looks at a Cyrus 6 (I had a Cyrus 1 nearly 30 years ago and rememebr it fondly). Cyrus also have a great service ploicy!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
the cyrus 6 will be quite different to a pearl lite amp, i'm not sure a 6 would give the neats the power they deserve tho

in short, i dont think a few hundred quid will improve an already well balanced system, if you can get a pearl lite cheap then it could be the best move unless you wanna try a cyrus 8, im thinking the cyrus would be faster and less laid back.

be sure you listen to cyrus and neat together tho as i have no experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts