Upgrade Stylus? Upgrade Phono Stage?....

sarge

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Like so many others i've recently joined the turntable revolution. I've put together system comprising a Project Xpression Ukx, Cambridge Audio CP1 phono stage, Fidelity Audio Pre120 preamp and connected to a Audiolab power amp. I'm pretty happy with the sound quality ive managed to achieve but feel as though i'm ready to upgrade

The question is

Do you guys/gals think i'd see a better improvement upgrading to the Ortofon 2m Blue ( i have the silver ) stylus or upgrade my phono stage?

I can only upgrade one path at a time and i'm not sure what to do.

Regards

sarge said:
Hi

Like so many others i've recently joined the turntable revolution. I've put together system comprising a Project Xpression Ukx, Cambridge Audio CP1 phono stage, Fidelity Audio Pre120 preamp and connected to a Audiolab power amp. I'm pretty happy with the sound quality ive managed to achieve but feel as though i'm ready to upgrade

The question is

Do you guys/gals think i'd see a better improvement upgrading to the Ortofon 2m Blue ( i have the silver ) stylus or upgrade my phono stage?

I can only upgrade one path at a time and i'm not sure what to do.

Regards

Another post that would be better off in the turntable sub forum.

However, can I ask if the turntable is going to be your only source? If not I'd be looking at a new preamp with a few more inputs.

As the Silver is a modified Red I would doubt you would hear a significant change in sound quality. The phono preamp is fine if you intend sticking with moving magnet cartridges but for a change in sound quality I would move away from Ortofons.

Having said that the upgrade to blue would be a cheap option as you only have to buy the stylus and not the whole cartridge, as such it is worth trying......

sarge

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I'm gonna probably get the stylus to start with I think.

I'm not interested in a preamp with more inputs because the pre120 is perfect because I only need a preamp for my turntable and nothing else. More inputs would be a waste

( apologies for the wrong category )

regards

sarge said:
Thanks for the response. I'm gonna probably get the stylus to start with I think.

I'm not interested in a preamp with more inputs because the pre120 is perfect because I only need a preamp for my turntable and nothing else. More inputs would be a waste

( apologies for the wrong category )

regards

No problem. Most people use more than one source is all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts