upgrade royd sapphires?

mwf

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

My current system is a linn majik-1 amp (one of the older ones), a naim cd3 and a pair of royd sapphires on some nondescript stands.

The royds are the oldest bit, and I was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading to some royd minstrels (or even abbots) or Linn Index (or other Linns) which occasionally crop up for under £200 on ebay.

It sounds delightful but could have a touch more body without aggravating the neighbours. Any suggestions welcomed

A

As you've not yet had a reply, I'll just welcome you and offer a few words.

Buying any of these secondhand requires that you already know what you are buying. They are, as far as I recall, quite characterful, or maybe 'coloured' is more honest, especially the Linns. You may enjoy that, but unless you buy to try, and are prepared to resell if disappointed then I'd stick with what I have.

If you want a free upgrade, try unplugging everything, checking all the connections and reconnecting it all. I find that always does the trick!

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard the sapphire's but I have owned the minstrel's and have a friend who owns abbot's. The abbot's are a lovely speaker with masses of detail but I did prefer the minstrel's. They were special speakers and I wish I had held on to them as they were immaculate when I sold them. They go surprisingly low for such a small speaker but don't really like being pushed too hard. Having said that they were loud enough for me and as I said they sounded pretty special so they more than made up for their lack of outright volume.

mwf

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks both for your advice! I think I will grab a pair of Minstrels if I see them for a good price as everyone seems to consider them somewhat special....

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
mwf said:
Thanks both for your advice! I think I will grab a pair of Minstrels if I see them for a good price as everyone seems to consider them somewhat special....

Good choice... whatever you do, don't buy the Linn Index, I used to have a pair and couldn't stand them. With the Intec amp I had, they were lifeless and too neutral for my taste.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
If have owned both Sapphires and Minstrels. In no way would I regard the latter as an upgrade. They are inferior in every way IMO.

if you are limited to smaller footprint speakers that need near wall placement, you could try Rega Ela or Naim SBL. The latter are better and do not need a big amp. They go for stupidly cheap prices too. They will reward you as you upgrade other bits.

if you like the Sapphires. You could look at a Naim CDI or CDX as an upgrade. Both will better your CD3 without sacrificing the good things that it already does.

Good Luck :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts