Upgrade or sidegrade? Are oldies goodies?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've got an early 1990s Technics separates system. I want to upgrade, but I'm on a budget. I don't really know how my old models compare with newer low-end kit. E.g. if I go for a NAD 515 BEE or Marantz CD6002 are they likely to be much of an improvement on my Technics SLPG32A (if anyone's ever heard of it). I just figure there's no point in "sidegrading".

More generally, how do I know if something that got a 5-star review 10 years ago is still worth buying - e.g. there's an Arcam Alpha 7 CD and Alpha 8 Amp on ebay at the moment at low-end price, which got great reviews in 1997, but are they worth it now?

Thanks in advance...

A

Anonymous

does it have them little flat buttons that kind of rock on the microswitchs behind them? came in full size and midi? about £600 with the graphic equaliser option?

There seems to be this one system that everyone had. Ive tryed one on better cables, and better speakers, and had improvements. to be honest though, I wouldn't call it a hifi. Its a separates system but its single remote and data linked. iirc the tape deck dont actually have phono sockets as i converted one some years ago. Needed a power supply and everything as it ran off the amp.

If thats what you have, then im not so sure you can make a side step. The only way is up :)

A

Anonymous

More than 10 years have passed and in terms of technological advancement, I'm afraid a lot has changed and so, I would suggest you upgrade.

A

Anonymous

I would agree with evilwolf that alot has changed but some of the older gear will destroy some of the newer stuff, just depends what your buying or what your replacing. At the top end im sure the newer stuff is alot better but at the lower end of the market its not always the case. Not long ago I went into a shop to try some speakers and tried them with a £400 nad in the shop and then with my old technics su-a900mk2 and even the guy in the shop had to admit my amp sounded sweet. This is not to say the nad does not have newer and better technology but at the end of the day its how it sounds to your ears and not whats inside it.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
You'll just have to test out a new set up. I have a newish Rotel RA02 / Rotel RCD02 / B&W 601 (given to me by a family member) it would have cost about £900 new. Last week bought a 10 year old Rotel RA931 amp and B&W 601 for £30 (bargain!) and to my ears the old stuff sounds really good, i'd definetly be annoyed if i had paid £900 to upgrade.

A

Anonymous

I bought a Quad 405 power amp for 100 notes. It's about as old as me, getting on for 30 years. I have to say that it sounds very good, stunning for the money paid. It was serviced by Quad last year (yet I still got it for 100 notes!) so all capacitors will have been replaced. If older kit can be serviced like the Quad kit then you're on to a winner. If not then I'd question what has been lost with component degradation.

A

Anonymous

its this isnt it?

thats the 27 cd player, as its the midi. you have the 32 as your is full size but looks almost identical.

Please say no. Thats far to much technics information for me to be happy with.

If its this then your in store for a well deserved treat. It was the king of midi systems in its day. Midi systems though. It was just pretending to be hifi. The cd player was available as a separate though, as was the graphic option. The speakers might give some more service but its 20 years old. Im gonna guess the player was about the worst they ever made. The amp is pure midi system. no output transistors. Just One big slab of an integrated circuit like was common of them. No separate supplies, infact one multi use one between more than one component. I believe ive demo'd a radio after amputating it, and it was... pointless.

am i over doing it? lol

The £120~ arcam bits would shock you. Never again would you be able to make such a large upgrade. Thats not to say thats what you want though. Arcam that is. not the wacking great upgrade your about to have. I reckon your budgit would buy you something conciderably better from new.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts