Upgrade my CDP or Speaker first?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Recently I bought a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amplifier to replace my Denon AVR-2310. I am very impressed and happy since the improvement of sound quality is significant. Right now, I am going to upgrade one of my audio equipment, CD Player or Speakers. Right now I am using my old Quad 66 for the CDP and Mordaunt-Short Aviano 2 for the speaker. I am thinking to upgrade my Quad 66 to Musical Fidelity M3CD and Aviano 2 to either ProAc Studio 110 or Focal Chorus 806v.

Since I am on a budget, I just can only upgrade one of them right now. What I would like to ask, which one has more significant improvement of sound quality as the result of the upgrade, CDP or speaker?

Thanks a lot.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Without doubt speakers.

You'll hear your M3i and 66 in there full glory, you may even enjoy the 66 so much to keep it.

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

@shooter69 : thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that my old Quad 66 still in the same quality with M3i.

@DavieCee : thanks for your reply and analogy.

matthewpiano

I would agree with shooter69 and DavieCee. Your CD player is fine for now - upgrade the speakers first.

The Focals are superb - detailed, open and involving. I've not heard the Focus 110 so can't comment on those. Also well worth looking at Dali's new Ikon range. I heard the new Ikon 6 mark 2 floorstanders at the weekend and thought they were wonderful so I'd imagine the standmount models are well worth a listen as well. Also don't dismiss the new Kef Q300s. They are very capable speakers from what I heard of them on Sunday.

A

Anonymous

@matthewpiano : thanks for the reply. How about ProAc Studio 110. What do you think about its sound quality? Is it better than Focal Chorus 806v?

matthewpiano

Sorry - typing error - should have said Studio 110 rather than Focus 110. I haven't heard the Studio 110 so I can't comment on them. They look good though and I've heard good things about them.

I recently made a mistake buying speakers by not trying to organise a home demo of them and suggest you learn from my silliness. I bought a pair of B&W 686s which sounded fine in the demo room but which in my room, at sensible domestic volumes, just aren't right.

Take your time, listen to a few different makes and models and when you think you are sure try to organise a home demo so that you can listen in your own room and with your own system, before finalising the purchase. This is what I'll be doing next.

A

Anonymous

@matthewpiano : thanks for the advice. Actually I will ask the seller to send the speakers to my home. I need to test it with my equipments and also with the condition of my room.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I see you did decide to go for the Musical Fidelity in the end. Very good chioce I would say and its good to hear you are happy with it.

As has been said by everyone else speakers would deffo be the next upgrade. Your MF and Quad deserve better speakers than the Aviano 2's. You will deffo hear a huge improvement with some higher end speakers. I find the synergy between my MF and Kef's to be very, very good.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i disagree i would get the whole source right and then find the areas of the speakers you have that you like/do not like and take your amp/cd player to various shops trying out speakers. you can take 6-12 months doing this and that will give you time to save for the speakers and you will be able to find the limits to your set up i.e can i drive 1k,2k speakers.

every cd player sounds way differant so if you change your speakers you may like the sound then when you get a new cd player you may find it sounds wrong.

all the best

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:... take your amp/cd player to various shops trying out speakers. you can take 6-12 months doing this...

6-12 months? And with your system in tow for every demo?

You'll be 'Mister Popular' with all the local dealers at the end of that
emotion-1.gif

Make sure after 6-12 months of demos that you ask for a really heavy discount and threaten to order them online if they dont comply! (I mean, they've opened all those boxes for you, so it's all virtually 'used' now isn't it? And 6-12 months old. Half price or walk out!)

matthewpiano

smuggs:
i disagree i would get the whole source right and then find the areas of the speakers you have that you like/do not like and take your amp/cd player to various shops trying out speakers. you can take 6-12 months doing this and that will give you time to save for the speakers and you will be able to find the limits to your set up i.e can i drive 1k,2k speakers.

every cd player sounds way differant so if you change your speakers you may like the sound then when you get a new cd player you may find it sounds wrong.

all the best

By the same logic one could find the same if you get a new CD player and then update the speakers later!

To me the partnership between amp and speakers is the most important part of the hi-fi chain and getting that right usually unlocks the key to the rest of the system. To be honest I'm not even sure that the OP's Quad CD player will necessarily need to be changed. The Avianos are good budget speakers but not sufficently adequate to make the best of the MF amp or any improvements in the source.

T

the record spot

For digital, the amp is the most element IMO. The sources aren't massively different, although differences obviously do exist between players (as a quick listen to Audio Analogue's Paganini against Marantz's SA7001-KI will tell you). In your position I'd be looking to change the speakers. The Quad will be fine for now and any further upgrade in source will only serve to highlight a huge gulf between the speakers and the rest and may hold your system back.

You really need to hear the speakers you've shortlisted (why those two might I ask? Have you researched them, worked out their tonal qualities and whether they match your own preferences, or is it more down to availability?) and ideally in your living room if the dealer(s) will permit. Too many variables between the different bits to comment otherwise. You should be looking for a good tonal balance across the three where each complements, rather than works to the detriment, of the others.

A

Anonymous

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for you replies and comments regarding my question. Sorry for not replying because I've been busy for awhile.

In the end, I've chosen to upgrade my speaker to ProAc Studio 110 and upgrade my mains cable to Chord PowerChord. All I can say is that it is very easy to notice the improvement of the sound quality since the improvement is very signifcant. I love how Studio 110 sounds, it is very sweey and musical although it hasn't burnt in yet. Also I am very happy with the quality of Chord PowerChord. The improvement over Chord SuperScreen is quite significant.

Regards,

William

Here are some pics of the upgrade :

A

Anonymous

shooter69:Nice set up WeHa.

Is that a sub your running on the left?

Thank you. yes it is Mordaunt-Short Aviano 7. Actually i've never used it and I will return it to the shop in the next few days :)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
WeHa:
yes it is Mordaunt-Short Aviano 7. Actually i've never used it and I will return it to the shop in the next few days :)

Ah yes the 110 have a good frequency response, in fact some of the best for compact design.

Enjoy them WeHa i'm sure you'll get hours of pleasure from them.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

shooter69:WeHa:
yes it is Mordaunt-Short Aviano 7. Actually i've never used it and I will return it to the shop in the next few days :)

Ah yes the 110 have a good frequency response, in fact some of the best for compact design.

Enjoy them WeHa i'm sure you'll get hours of pleasure from them.
emotion-1.gif

yes indeed the Studio 110 have a good frequency response and very sweet high. Thanks a lot
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts