Upgrade - Marantz CD Player or Tannoy speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Which upgrade - CD player Marantz CD6004, or Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders - would make the biggest impact on my budget system - Monitor Audio BR1 speakers, Sony CDP-XE370 CD player and Marantz PM6002 amp?

I've got around £300 to spend. I like a range of music from Eno, Muse and Radiohead to Debussy's piano works and Beethoven symphonies. Room size is 25x13 (it's a kitchen diner). Dining room floor is solid oak flooring.

Thanks

T

the record spot

What's the problem with the speakers? The CDP won't make a massive difference at the price (or some significant step up either, so I wouldn't change that). What's the issue?

A

Anonymous

No issue really - though the BR1s sound a bit small for the space and the CD player is a bit fussy about CD-R/RW. I'd just like to improve the sound if I can.

T

the record spot

OK, so two issues, one re: the sound, the other re: the player being able to accurately read the type of disc it's got. Which is the biggest pain just now? Deal with that first I guess.

The V4 is a floorstander, so you'll get more of a "big" sound, but don't write off standmounts, some can put out a very decent scale. CD wise, the Marantz is apparently very good and they've had a healthy reputation in CD players for years now, but see if you can also have a look at Harman Kardon's HD990 - also comes additional digital inputs that you can put other players or TVs, etc, through and on out to your stereo. Heard one in a demo and was very impressed with it. Nice styling too.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
The V4 is a floorstander, so you'll get more of a "big" sound,

Thanks for the replies, record spot. Does this mean that if I go for floostanders, the reason I'll get a big sound is because I'll be hearing my floor!?

And Chris/covenanter - thanks for the simple recommendation. Do you mean "speakers" in principle, or that the Tannoys will be a better speaker than the MA BR1s?

Thanks again.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I think the Tannoy V4 is a very good buy. I was VERY impressed when I heard them. For the money they are a steal IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts